When you have leftover ham, you make sandwiches. At least we do. And not just any sandwich, a Monte Cristo. Yeah. That’s what I’m talking about.
If you’ve never enjoyed a Monte Cristo, well, we’ve got to change that. What is a Monte Cristo you say? Basically it’s just the best ham and cheese sandwich ever! And it’s so cosmopolitan-ish sounding too.
A variation of the Croque-monsieur, the Monte Cristo is made with ham, cheese, a bit of mustard, and mayonnaise, then it’s dipped in egg, and cooked just like french toast. Say whaaat?!? Yep, no joke. It’s kind of crazy, isn’t it? Crazy town is what it is. We’re walking on the wild side with this sandwich, people.
The Monte Cristo isn’t just for lunch or dinner, either. Talk about a great breakfast sandwich. Sometimes the Monte Cristo is served with preserves and/or powdered sugar, so I think breakfast is totally appropriate, don’t you? We enjoyed ours with a small bit of honey. This sandwich really does make the most perfect savory and sweet combination with a little sweet added.
Of course, this sandwich is on the decadent side, so it’s not an all-the-time sort of thing. But if you’re planning a brunch, or have leftover ham in need of a job, give this Monte Cristo a try. I think you’ll be glad you did.
- 2 eggs
- pinches of salt and pepper
- 4 slices sturdy white bread (or white bread of preference)
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ pound thick sliced baked ham
- ½ ounce, weight shredded gruyere cheese
- additional salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- optional garnish/toppings: powdered sugar, honey, preserves
- Beat eggs in a shallow dish (large enough to fit a sandwich) along with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Assemble sandwiches, with mustard, mayonnaise, ham, cheese, salt and pepper to personal preference. Slightly compress sandwich.
- Over medium heat melt butter in skillet.
- Dip and coat each sandwich in beaten egg, and place in skillet. Cook sandwiches 2-3 minutes on each side, until browned to liking and cheese has melted.
- Makes 2 sandwiches.