Southern Green Beans and Potatoes with Vidalia Onion and Bacon Recipe
Southern Green Beans and Potatoes with Vidalia Onion and Bacon is a classic recipe for any southern cook. Made with fresh green beans, new potatoes, onion, bacon, broth and butter, this savory side dish compliments any meal.
A simple whiff is all it takes for a dish to instantly take me back to my childhood. This Southern Green Beans and Potatoes with Vidalia Onion and Bacon recipe does just that. For a moment I’m standing in my grandmother’s kitchen, barefoot on the linoleum floor, with wonderful aromas filling the space created by what was only moments before a large bowl of fresh picked green beans.
Snap! Snap! Snap, go the ends. I’ll admit, sitting with a large bowl of beans in my lap, snapping the ends off seemed so tedious at a younger age. It’s something I now realize I took for granted. To sit still and focus on something seemingly so menial without distraction … how I wish for more moments like those. So last week when I was able to get a few pounds of fresh green beans, I did just that. I sat still and snapped them all and it was better than any kind of therapy. The simple things.
Many thank to my friend Melissa, from Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen for taking me back to the good old days via green beans. Melissa has a new cookbook: Melissa’s Southern Cookbook, Tried-and-True Family Recipes (FYI, that’s an Amazon affiliate link). Melissa has compiled a collection of Southern favorites. It’s a drool-inducing cookbook and one that I think would make an excellent addition to any kitchen.
Among a slew of old favorites, I was happy to see a recipe for Green Beans and Potatoes with Vidalia Onion and Bacon in the book. It is just perfect! Definitely tried-and-true. A staple for any southern table for sure. I just about hollered when I took the first bite! It’s that good. It makes me want to eat green beans every single day. It’s a side dish you will definitely want to add to your holiday menu. I promise. Enjoy!
A few more favorite Southern recipes:
Southern Green Beans and Potatoes with Vidalia Onion and Bacon
Southern Green Beans and Potatoes is a classic recipe for any southern cook. Made with fresh green beans, new potatoes, onion, bacon, broth and butter, this savory side dish compliments any meal.
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, diced (any sweet onion may be substituted)
- 2 pounds fresh whole green beans, ends removed
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 pounds small red/new potatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- In a dutch oven or large pot over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Transfer bacon with a slotted spoon to paper towels to cool. Leave bacon fat in pan.
- Add diced onion to the bacon fat. Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, or until onion softens.
- Add green beans, chicken stock, 1 teaspoon of garlic salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Stir together. Lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Uncover sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt over beans. Arrange halved potatoes over the green beans. Dot tops of potatoes with cubed butter. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper over top. Cover and simmer for another 30 minutes or until potatoes are done (fork-tender).
- Stir to incorporate. Crumble the cooked bacon and sprinkle over top. Serve warm.
Recipe from Melissa’s Southern Cookbook, Tried-and-True Family Recipes.