Chicken a la King Recipe
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This easy Chicken a la King recipe combines tender chicken in a creamy sauce with mushrooms, bell peppers and peas.
When I heard Chicken à la King, I always thought “oooh, that sounds fancy.” You know, like something a king would eat? Or make I guess. And that fancy accented “á” makes it seem all French and high-end for sure. Turns out that’s a big “no sirree.” Chicken a la King is just good old comfort food. The name means “King-style Chicken,” because it’s so dang indulgent and rich. I’ve read a few stories about where the recipe originated. It seems to be debatable. But whoever melded this delicious dish together should be knighted. Hail, hail to Chicken à la King!
Chicken a la King is tender chicken in a creamy sauce with mushrooms, bell peppers and peas. Can you say satisfying comfort food? It’s usually served over rice, pasta or toast. The sauce is delicious and an excellent combination with your favorite noodles or rice.
One of the things I like about this Chicken a la King recipe is that it is so quick and easy to prepare, which makes it perfect for any weeknight meal. Of course it is a superb choice to serve to your favorite king or queen for any special occasion too.
To begin this easy dish, melt butter in a large skillet or saucepan. Then add mushrooms and bell pepper and sauté for a few minutes. Transfer sautéed mushrooms and bell peppers to a plate. Melt more butter in the pan, then whisk in flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper and cook, stirring constantly, until smooth. Continue by whisking in milk and chicken stock. Bring to a low simmer, stir and until mixture thickens and flour taste cooks out. Stir in sautéed mushrooms and bell peppers, as well as cut up chicken, peas and pimientos. Cook until warmed through. That’s it! Once prepped, Chicken a la King can be ready in about 20-30 minutes. Also, this recipe is perfect for a rotisserie chicken, which is another reason this is an excellent dish for a quick weeknight meal. Speaking of quick weeknight meals, check out this recipe for easy Skillet Creamy Garlic Chicken from Best Recipe Box.
A few side dish options to enjoy with Chicken a la King:
- Easy Roasted Asparagus Recipe
- Roasted Broccoli Recipe
- Easy Garlic Lemon Green Beans Recipe
- Shaved Asparagus Salad Recipe
- Easy Layered Salad Recipe
Chicken a la King Recipe
- 4 ounces butter, divided
- 1/2 cup diced red or yellow bell pepper
- 8 ounces (weight) sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 cup whole milk or cream
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock, plus extra as needed
- 3-4 cups bite-sized pieces of cooked chicken*
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) jarred diced pimientos
- Heat a large saucepan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of butter; allow to melt.
- Add mushrooms and bell pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer mushrooms and bell peppers to a bowl/plate. Set aside. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add remaining butter to pan; allow to melt.
- Whisk in flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk and chicken stock. Bring to a low simmer, stir and cook for 5 minutes. Mixture will thicken and flour taste should cook out. If mixture gets too thick, whisk in a little bit of chicken stock at a time.
- Stir in cooked mushrooms and bell peppers, as well as chicken, peas and pimientos. Cook until warmed through. Again, if sauce is too thick, add a little bit of stock at a time to desired consistency. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm over pasta, rice or toast.
*Rotisserie chicken works great for this recipe.