Easy Layered Salad Recipe
This colorful Layered Salad Recipe with a creamy citrus dill dressing is such a nice addition to any holiday or picnic menu. Easily prepare a day ahead for simple entertaining.
There are so many reasons that I like this salad. Other than the fabulous crunch and taste of this layered salad, and the fact that it is packed with some good nutritious food, I like that it can be made ahead of time and easily packed along for a potluck or picnic, or a potluck picnic. And yes, it’s colorful! It’s such a pretty salad to layer in a clear trifle bowl or dish.
Of course it’s not just for potlucks or picnic. I like to make it for Randy and I to enjoy for a few meals during the week. Enjoy it alone or serve this layered salad with some grilled chicken or fish for a perfectly satisfying meal. We also like to add boiled eggs. I so enjoy boiled eggs on a salad. That’s some good eats, for sure!
This salad was layered in a rainbow pattern for fun photos, but it can be layered however you like. And if you’d like, add in boiled eggs and/or crispy crumbled bacon too for even more deliciousness!
More side dish potluck recipes you’ll enjoy:
- Broccoli Salad Recipe
- Roasted Vegetable Orzo Salad Recipe
- Classic Macaroni Salad Recipe
- Mint Melon Salad Recipe
- Strawberry Lemon Basil Pasta Salad Recipe
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 2 cups chopped purple cabbage
- 6 cups chopped lettuce (romaine, baby spinach or combo)
- 2 cups chopped cucumber
- 2 cups canned or frozen baby peas, drained (if using frozen, thaw and drain well)
- ½ cup sliced green onion
- 1 cup chopped yellow pepper
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 cups diced tomatoes*
- optional additions: crisp crumbled bacon, chopped or sliced boiled eggs
- To make dressing, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, sugar, salt, pepper and dill until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large glass bowl or trifle dish layer remaining ingredients.
- Spread dressing over top of salad.** Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
*Cherry or grape tomatoes cut in half or quartered may be used as well.
**If making more than 12 hours ahead of time, wait to spread dressing over top of salad.