Easy Mint Melon Salad Recipe
This light Mint Melon Salad Recipe is the perfect dish for a potluck, picnic or cookout, and just to have on hand for a sweet snack.
Years ago I remember seeing Giada make this Mint Melon Salad on the Food Network and I knew right away that I had to try it. It is sweet, but not too sweet, with a hint of fresh mint. It couldn’t be easier to make. Be sure to double the recipe. You’ll be glad that you did!
The ingredients of this Mint Melon Salad are pretty simple: sugar, water, watermelon, cantaloupe, lemon juice and amaretto (optional) and mint. Even though mint may be my nemesis in the garden, it is oh so handy in recipes like this one.
Begin by first creating a simple syrup by combining sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a low simmer, stirring occasionally. Make sure that all sugar is dissolved. It should only take a couple of minutes of simmering. The syrup will thicken slightly and should remain clear. Remove from heat and let cool.
(Please note that there will be more simple syrup than needed for this recipe. Yay! It’s great for sweetening tea, cocktails, or your favorite summery beverages. It can be kept covered and refrigerated for up to a week.)
Next, use a melon baller to scoop out the watermelon and the cantaloupe. You will need a total of about 6-7 cups of melon balls. Place all melon balls into a large mixing bowl and set aside. (If you don’t have a melon baller, you can simply cut up the melon into about 1-2 inch cubes.) Add the cooled simple syrup to the pitcher of a blender, along with the mint, lemon juice, and amaretto. Blend well until the mint is finely chopped. Pour the mixture over the melon pieces. Toss melon balls with mixture to coat well. And that’s it! So easy.
Serve right away, or cover and refrigerate until needed. It does get better the longer the mint amaretto syrup mingles with the melon. Let it mingle a while if time allows. Mingling is good!
This Mint Melon Salad is a fresh and tasty combo for sure and such a pretty dish for special occasions like Mother’s Day, a baby or bridal shower, picnics or potlucks. Wherever you decide to serve it, I think you will enjoy it!
More delicious fruit recipes as easy as this melon salad:
- Grilled Pineapple Mango Salsa
- Grilled Peaches with Margarita Cream
- Roasted Cherry Parfaits
- Peach Salsa Recipe
- Easy Roasted Fruit Recipe
Easy Mint Melon Salad Recipe
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 1/2 cups (approximately) watermelon balls
- 3 1/2 cups (approximately) cantaloupe balls
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, packed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon amaretto (substitute amaretto flavoring or vanilla extract, if needed)
- Begin by making the simple syrup. Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a low simmer and stir, making sure that all sugar is dissolved. It should only take a couple of minutes of simmering. The liquid will thicken slightly and should remain clear. Remove from heat and let cool. (Remember: You are only using a portion of this syrup. Refrigerate the remainder for a few days if you’d like, for use in another recipe. It’s great for sweetening tea or water.)
- Next, using a melon baller, scoop about 3 1/2 cups of watermelon and 3 1/2 cups cantaloupe into a large mixing bowl and set aside. If you don’t have a melon baller you can always cut up the melon into about 1-1 1/2? squares.
- Once the simple syrup has cooled, blend 1/4 cup of the simple syrup, mint, lemon juice and amaretto in a blender until mint is finely chopped.
- Pour the mixture over the melon pieces and combine well.
- Serve right away, or cover and refrigerate until needed.
Originally published June 22, 2010.