Polenta Pizzas Recipe
Delicious Polenta Pizzas with herbed goat cheese, and sautéed mushrooms and peppers are fantastic served as an appetizer as well as an option for a lighter meatless meal. These can be easily prepped ahead too, which make them the perfect party food for entertaining.
As a Southern girl raised on grits, these easy Polenta Pizzas are right up my alley. Toasted polenta rounds are topped with with herbed goat cheese, sautéed mushrooms and bell peppers. These tasty bites are delicious and totally filling for an appetizer or a light meatless main entree. Plus, these little pizzas are super easy to make.
While these pizzas are topped with goat cheese, mushrooms and peppers, other toppings may be substituted. Try a different combination of herbs, cheeses and roasted vegetables for an endless variety of flavors. Havarti with sautéed sweet onions perhaps? Or Gouda with sun dried tomatoes? Yummy!
As I mentioned before, Polenta Pizzas are easy to make. Begin by mixing goat cheese, basil and thyme together until combined. Separately, heat olive oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and bell pepper and sauté until peppers are tender. Remove from heat and keep warm while you prepare the polenta. The polenta used for this recipe is the ready-to-eat type that is in a roll. Cut polenta into 24 slices about 1/4-inch thick. Place polenta slices on a large baking sheet coated with no stick cooking spray. Broil for 5 to 7 minutes per side. Spread the goat cheese herb mixture on each broiled polenta slice. Top with the sautéed mushrooms and peppers. And there you go! Ready to enjoy!
What I like about these (other than their taste!) is that they are perfect for entertaining. These Polenta Pizzas can easily be prepped ahead of time. Toast the polenta ahead of time, and refrigerate covered. When ready to serve, place back on a baking sheet, add all of the toppings then rewarm in the oven just before serving.
More delicious appetizer recipes:
- 7 Layer Dip Recipe
- Shrimp Cocktail Recipe
- Phyllo Baked Brie with Figs and Walnuts Recipe
- Potato Sins Recipe
- Spinach Artichoke Dip Recipe
- Peach and Goat Cheese Bruschetta Recipe
Polenta Pizzas Recipe
These Polenta Pizzas with goat cheese, sautéed mushrooms and peppers are an easy and filling appetizer perfect for any party.
- 5 ounces goat cheese, chèvre
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Basil Leaves
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Thyme Leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in 1/4-inch strips and halved
- 24 ounces ready-to-eat polenta in a roll
- In a small bowl, mix together the goat cheese, basil and thyme until well combined. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and bell pepper and sauté about 8 minutes, or until peppers are tender. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Cut polenta into 24 (1/4-inch) thick slices. Place slices on large baking sheet coated with no stick cooking spray. Broil 5 to 7 minutes per side.
- Spread the goat cheese herb mixture on each broiled polenta slice. Top with mushrooms and peppers. Serve warm.
- To keep warm return to baking sheet, cover lightly with aluminum foil and keep in warm oven up to one hour, until ready to serve.
Slightly adapted from McCormick.
Originally published December 30, 2013.