Buttermilk Chicken Recipe
Our typical go-to meal for any night of the week is grilled or baked chicken. We often serve it with a side of one of our favorite of potato dishes. To avoid boredom with the same ole, same ole, we mix things up, and experiment with different marinades and techniques. This grilled (or baked) Buttermilk Chicken is one of our tried and true favorites that makes flavorful, tender chicken every single time. Yay for tried and true!
You can easily prepare this chicken ahead of time, at least 30 minutes and up to a whole day. Allow the recipe to marinate in the fridge until ready to cook. The longer it can mingle in the buttermilk marinade the better. (Tip: Out of buttermilk? Easily make a quick substitute by stirring 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice or white vinegar into 1 cup of milk and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes.)
When I have planned ahead of time (which is not often) I like to buy bone-in chicken pieces in bulk and divide them for more than one meal. As with most meat, chicken pieces are usually less expensive when bought in bulk, so hit your favorite butcher counter, then divide and conquer!
A couple of weeks ago, I prepped half of a batch of chicken legs with the Honey Jalapeño Chicken Recipe to grill one evening. For the remaining half, I used this buttermilk chicken recipe and marinated them for dinner the next night. Of course that means two nights in a row for grilled chicken, but hey, no one is complaining over here!
This Buttermilk Chicken is easy to grill or bake in an oven in about 30 minutes. That’s what I call flexible. Serve this alongside a tossed salad, quick Garlic Lemon Green Beans, and Twice Baked Potatoes (or Quick Baked Potatoes) for a weeknight win!
Buttermilk Chicken Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian Seasonings
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 3 pounds bone-in chicken pieces
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together buttermilk, garlic powder, Italian seasonings, red pepper, and 2 teaspoons salt.
- Pour buttermilk mixture into large ziptop plastic bag or large baking dish; add chicken and toss to coat. Seal/cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight, turning chicken occasionally. Remove chicken from refrigerator 30 minutes before grilling.
- Heat grill to medium-low*. Place marinated chicken (discard the marinade) on grill, cover and cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown and cooked through, about 30 to 40 minutes.
*To bake, preheat oven to 450-degrees F. Place marinated chicken in a single layer in an oven safe skillet or baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until done.
Originally published June 3, 2016.