BBQ Chicken Recipe
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The perfect cookout isn’t complete without BBQ Chicken. This recipe is easy to follow with delicious results.
Randy’s back again to share about how to use his BBQ Sauce recipe to make the best BBQ Chicken. He’s the master of the grill in our home, and I’m mighty thankful for that. Take it away, Randy!
You know that smell, the one that wafts through the backyard on a summer’s eve? The one that induces drool? The one that tells you that your neighbor is grilling and that you wish you were too? Chicken barbecuing on the grill has to be one of the finest aromas in all of cookingdom. It’s an aroma that says “welcome friends, family and neighbors, let’s eat!” And it’s a foretaste of the fine plate that is to come.
Let’s talk chicken. I used to be a white meat guy but I have been reformed (thanks to Amy). It seems like chicken breasts are getting larger and larger. In my opinion the large ones are bland and dry. Plus, the larger chicken breasts tend to take extra coaxing to achieve good flavor and who has time for that? We’ve found chicken thighs and legs to be more moist and flavorful. If you are a white meat person, consider trying the dark side some time. You might be glad that you did.
When it comes to BBQ Chicken, leg quarters (the thigh and drumstick attached) are one of our favorite cuts of chicken to use, bone-in and skin on, of course. Leg quarters are usually less expensive and great for serving a crowd.
A few helpful tips for grilling the best BBQ Chicken:
- I like to use a charcoal grill with a lid when grilling leg quarters.
- Skin-on chicken is prone to flame so you need to use a grill that has good way to control air flow and flames.
- Be watchful throughout the grilling process, especially at the saucing phase as the sugars in the sauce can burn easily.
- As always, be mindful of food safety, and have a dependable meat thermometer to use when grilling meat. I do not begin applying sauce until chicken has reached a safe temperature, 165-degrees F. That way I’m not contaminating my sauce container with bacteria from undercooked poultry.
- A great BBQ Sauce Recipe is a must. You’re in luck! Here’s one right here: BBQ Sauce Recipe
BBQ Chicken Recipe
The perfect cookout isn't complete without BBQ Chicken. This recipe is easy to follow with delicious results.
- leg quarters (bone-in, skin on)
- bbq sauce (at least ¼ cup for each pound of chicken)
- Heat charcoal grill to 300-degrees F.
- Place leg quarters skin side up on the grill. Cooked covered for 15-18 minutes. Flip chicken and continue cooking another 15-18 minutes or until internal temperature reaches at least 165-degrees F. Turn the airflow down on the grill to lower the temperature. Brush a generous amount of BBQ sauce on the chicken. Cook covered for around 2 minutes. Flip chicken and brush on more sauce. Close lid and cook another 2 minutes.
- Keep flipping and brushing until chicken is coated to preference. If desired, additional sauce may be added while the chicken is cooling.
Oh my word! This chicken looks amazing!!!
We made your recipe this afternoon on the grill, and it was delicious.
This chicken could only be made better by enjoying it with you all! 🙂
You very mivj gor you BBS recipe.I
Haven’t tried it yet but soon .Looks.beautiful..Could uou recommend a couple of hot sauces for me . I have a sensitive 82 year old palette.Thank you !!!
I HAD the recipe where you fixed BBQ Chicken in the oven that tasted just like you fixed it on the grill; and, for the life of me I can’t find the recipe … would you please repost it?
I have a Buttermilk Chicken Recipe that can be baked or grilled. Is that the one you are talking about?