Let this White Wine Tomato Braised Chicken Recipe simmer away to create delectable dish for enjoying all throughout the year.
This White Wine Tomato Braised Chicken Recipe combines white wine, herbs and tomatoes with chicken for an easy and satisfying meal that the whole family will love. This savory dish is full of rich hearty flavors without leaving you feeling stuffed. White Wine Tomato Braised Chicken is a great comfort food for cooler temperatures, but it’s also a terrific option for warmer weather, enjoyed over fluffy rice with a light salad.
These simple ingredients meld together to create a wonderfully seasoned dinner dish that everyone will enjoy. The drool-inducing aroma will fill your home and have everyone waiting by the stove to enjoy this delectable savory dish of chicken braised with tomatoes, toasted and fragrant mustard and fennel seeds, and white wine.
A few notes on this Tomato Braised Chicken Recipe:
- Bone-in skin-on chicken pieces are better for braising. The bones and skin add to the richness and depth of flavor.
- Braised chicken is great served over rice, pasta, or mashed potatoes.
- If time permits, cover and transfer to warm oven (about 250-300-degrees F) to continue to braise until ready to serve.
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 8 medium bone-in chicken thighs, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 14½-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- Heat a large skillet on medium high heat. Add mustard and fennel seeds to toast; cook and stir until fragrant (about 2 minutes). Transfer from hot pan to avoid over-toasting. Crush toasted seeds and set aside.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in the same skillet on medium-high heat. Cook chicken in batches, 5 minutes per side or until golden brown. Remove chicken from skillet; cover and keep warm.
- Add onion; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until softened. Add minced garlic and cook stirring for 2 minutes. Stir in wine, parsley, tomatoes, crushed toasted seeds and chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover. Simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cover and simmer additional 10 to 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over rice or pasta, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe slightly adapted from McCormick.