The past few weeks I’ve been trying to focus on having some non-carb options on hand. I’m always in the mood for potatoes. Like a bunch. But I need to focus on the green a little more. These Garlic Lemon Green Beans are just the ticket. The perfect side for steak. In fact, what triggered me to make these this week was a visit to our local steakhouse. They offer a similar green bean side to substitute instead of a baked potato. It actually hurts a little to order green beans instead of a baked potato, y’all. Just a bit. But once the initial pain subsides, honestly, I really do find these green beans ultimately satisfying, and without feeling like I’m going to bust.
These beans are fuss-free and something that can be served as a side, or enjoyed on their own as a lighter lunch or crunchy snack. Two main things I like about this: 1) easily change up the seasonings as you like to compliment any main dish, and 2) par boil the green beans ahead of time and store in the refrigerator ready to toss in a pan for a few minutes before serving make it a super duper quick healthy option to have on hand. Seriously simple. I’ve made these no less than 5 times in the past two weeks. That’s a lot of green beans.
- 1.5 pounds green beans, cleaned and trimmed
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil (depending on pan size; basically will need enough to cover pan and coat green beans)
- 4 tablespoons, butter, salted
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder (if you really like garlic, add more)
- a few pinches of salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Prepare a large bowl of ice water and set aside.
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook green beans for about 3 minutes. Drain beans and transfer them to the bowl of ice water. Allow beans to cool completely. Once cool, drain beans, and proceed to next steps. Or store covered in refrigerator for up to a couple of days until ready to finish cooking.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet* over medium-high heat. Add green beans and butter to pan, tossing to coat with oil and butter. Add lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Continue to toss, cooking for about 3 minutes.
- Additional salt and pepper as needed to taste.