This classic Yellow Butter Cake with Malted Chocolate Buttercream Frosting will make any celebration that much sweeter.
My kids have one more month of school left. One more month or rushing out the door to avoid a tardy. One more month of tests and homework. One more month of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches every day for lunch.
So I made them a cake.
I’m calling it the OMTG Cake. (That’s One Month to Go Cake, for those of you not up on your hip acronyms.) This is a basic yellow cake topped with a splendid chocolate malted buttercream frosting. Malted Buttercream Chocolate Frosting? Surely that will help kids everywhere push through one more month of standing in single file?
A few more cakes for those special occasions:
- Dark Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake Recipe
- Pineapple Cake Recipe
- Meyer Lemon Thyme Icebox Cake Recipe
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) butter, room temperature (I used salted)
- 1 cup milk, divided
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Frosting: Malted Buttercream Chocolate Frosting Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, lightly whisk together first 4 ingredients; flour, sugar, baking powder, salt.
- Add butter and ¾ cup milk to the mixture, and beat together until just combined. Stop to scrape sides down a couple of times. Do not over beat.
- In a separate bowl, lightly beat eggs, remaining milk and vanilla extract together. Gradually add to the flour/sugar/butter mixture, and mix until just combined. Again, do not over beat.
- Divide batter into two greased and parchment lined 9" baking pans.
- Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes, or until cake tester or toothpick comes out clean.
- Once cooled completely, frost with Malted Buttercream Chocolate Frosting.