Malted Buttercream Chocolate Frosting Recipe
A great chocolate frosting recipe is always a good thing to know how to make, and this one for a Malted Chocolate Buttercream is no exception.
A couple of years ago I made this buttercream frosting to top off a Yellow Butter Cake as a surprise for our kids during the last month of school. It was a big hit! Cake is not something we have all the time, but once in a while for a special occasion it sure is nice to take the time to make a cake from scratch, topped with a delicious homemade buttercream.
The simple addition of malted milk to this chocolate buttercream adds a certain flavor that’s hard to explain if you’ve never had malted milk. It’s a subtle kind of sweetness, and a nice partner for chocolate.
This Malted Chocolate Buttercream would be a great addition to any cake flavor, but I do like it paired with the simplicity of a Yellow Butter Cake. Yellow cake with chocolate frosting is the ultimate classic cake to me.
I hope you enjoy this delicious treat, y’all! I’d love to hear how you use this buttercream. Stop back by and share how your creations turned out.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup malted milk powder
- 7 tablespoons milk
- Optional: if using unsalted butter, add a pinch or two of salt to taste
- In a mixer, beat butter and vanilla extract together until smooth.
- Add in powdered sugar, cocoa powder, malted milk powder, lightly mix.
- Gradually add in milk, one tablespoon at at time until smooth. Add more milk if needed.
- Optional: Add a pinch or two of salt to taste if using unsalted butter.