Garlic Lemon Green Beans

Simple Garlic Lemon Green Beans

The past few weeks I’ve been trying to focus on having some non-carb options on hand. I’m always in the mood for potatoes. Like a bunch. But I need to focus on the green a little more. These Garlic Lemon Green Beans are just the ticket. The perfect side for steak. In fact, what triggered me to make these this week was a visit to our local steakhouse. They offer a similar green bean side to substitute instead of a baked potato. It actually hurts a little to order green beans instead of a baked potato, y’all. Just a bit. But once the initial pain subsides, honestly, I really do find these green beans ultimately satisfying, and without feeling like I’m going to bust.

Easy Garlic Lemon Green Beans

These beans are fuss-free and something that can be served as a side, or enjoyed on their own as a lighter lunch or crunchy snack. Two main things I like about this: 1) easily change up the seasonings as you like to compliment any main dish, and 2) par boil the green beans ahead of time and store in the refrigerator ready to toss in a pan for a few minutes before serving make it a super duper quick healthy option to have on hand. Seriously simple. I’ve made these no less than 5 times in the past two weeks. That’s a lot of green beans.

Garlic Lemon Green Beans

4.5 from 6 reviews

Garlic Lemon Green Beans

These Garlic Lemon Green Beans are the perfect side dish, or healthy snack.
  • 1.5 pounds green beans, cleaned and trimmed
  • 1-2 tablespoons olive oil (depending on pan size; basically will need enough to cover pan and coat green beans)
  • 4 tablespoons, butter, salted
  • 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
  • ½ teaspoon garlic powder (if you really like garlic, add more)
  • a few pinches of salt and ground black pepper to taste
  1. Prepare a large bowl of ice water and set aside.
  2. In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook green beans for about 3 minutes. Drain beans and transfer them to the bowl of ice water. Allow beans to cool completely. Once cool, drain beans, and proceed to next steps. Or store covered in refrigerator for up to a couple of days until ready to finish cooking.
  3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet* over medium-high heat. Add green beans and butter to pan, tossing to coat with oil and butter. Add lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Continue to toss, cooking for about 3 minutes.
  4. Additional salt and pepper as needed to taste.
Notes
*Depending on skillet size, you may need to work in smaller batches, dividing lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and paper as you work through smaller amounts.

Comments

Looks fantastic and super easy! I have a query though, you have mentioned 4 tbsp salted butter in the ingredients.. when do we have to add that?

Whoops! Fixed the recipe. Thanks for letting me know. The butter should be added when the green beans are added. A little at a time if working in batches.

i am ALWAYS in the mood for potatoes too…haha! they are just so good…
    but these garlicky lemon green beans look tasty enough that i might be able to forget about the potatoes…hehe

Lynne A says

Served these Friday for some guests — they were a hit! Thanks for posting. :)

Hmmm … if you tried with frozen, you would need to thaw them, then make sure they are totally dry.

Candace says

I made this recipe with frozen green beans. I steamed them first, instead of cooking them in boiling water. It turned out great! This recipe is delicious!

Danielle says

Made these tonight– no fuss, great flavor! Even my 2 year old was insisting on more!

Libdsey says

I love fresh green beans but my husband does not (the crispiness of fresh veggies grosses him out) will this recipe work with green beans out of the can. I’m sure y’all are cringing at the thought but if it will get him to eat better

Laura says

Made this tonight with some marinated lemon pepper chicken and it was DELISH! All 4 of us enjoyed (and that’s a rare thing for us!) thank you!

Imaniar Ramadhani says

Greeting from Indonesia!
    I love the way you serve green bean as healthy snack. It’s always better to consume healthy natural food, especially the home-made. Allow me to pin it on Pinterest. Thank You!

sammi says

I just cooked these to finish preparing them tonight for dinner. Just a helpful hint (for those who don’t think of it). When you throw your beans in the water, get a big (4-8 cup) measuring cup and fill it with ice. Drain your beans in your pot and then put the ice (with cold water) back in the pot…then you don’t have to wash an extra bowl!

NiMik says

I made these and they were not for me. I’ll stick to my other green bean recipes. But on the other hand my father loved them so its all about taste buds.

MC says

These sound delicious and can’t wait to try them, but FYI, boiling veggies cooks the good nutrients out of them so you’re better off sautéing or baking and skipping the boiling.