Plum Skillet Cake Recipe
This easy Plum Skillet Cake Recipe is quick to make and lovely for tea time or any time of the day. Serve warm right out of the skillet with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for a treat fit for a queen.
Like most of the rest of the free-thinking, English-speaking world, my family and I have recently been engrossed by the The Great British Baking Show. I’m always so impressed at the variety of challenges and skilled bakers. They make, breads, cakes, creams, puffs and pastries! And they use beautiful rose petals and thyme and rhubarb and weird fruit and spices I’ve never heard. Most of which I don’t necessarily want to try, but they sound very impressive nonetheless.
Often I tend to forget variety is the spice of life and all that and stick with our go-to desserts. While there’s nothing wrong with our favorite Sweet Potato Cake or Pecan Pie, I do enjoy baking with fresh fruit whenever I can. So I was happy to happen upon some pretty plums that just beckoned to be baked. And let me tell you I heard them. Although this delectable Plum Skillet Cake may look impressive enough to vie for a spot on that baking show, it could not be easier to make.
This Plum Skillet Cake Recipe is simple enough in ingredients and technique, yet it makes such a lovely presentation with the gorgeous plum topping. The cake boasts hints of orange zest, cinnamon, ginger and almond which are a nice compliment to the delicious juicy plums. Serve warm with a dollop of freshly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Plum Skillet Cake is a delightful treat that is an excellent choice for tea time. Basically, it’s the perfect thing to make to get out your baking bug. But, it’s simple enough that you won’t have to risk the wrath of Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood.
Also, I’ll cook anything that I can in a skillet. Anything.
For more fruit dessert goodness check out these recipes:
Plum Skillet Cake Recipe
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4-5 plums halved, pitted and sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 325-degrees F. Grease an 10-inch cast-iron skillet or a greased oven-proof skillet* with deep sides.
- Beat softened butter, granulated sugar, orange zest, cinnamon and ginger on medium for 4 minutes, until smooth. Beat in eggs and almond extract; beat for 1 minute on medium, stopping at least once to scrape down bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Alternate gradually adding flour mixture and sour cream to batter mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Spread batter evenly in greased skillet. Arrange plum slices on top. Sprinkle top evenly with brown sugar.
- Bake at 325-degrees F until tooth pick or cake tester comes out clean, about 45-50 minutes. Let cool in skillet for 10 minutes before transferring to a cake plate or serve warm straight from skillet.
*Cake can also be cooked in a greased 9-inch round cake pan with 2-inch deep sides. Adjust cook time accordingly.