Peach Slab Pie Recipe
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
A delicious Peach Slab Pie Recipe for using up those juicy ripe peaches and an easier way to serve pie for a gathering.
You, like many a human on this earth, may have heard of the phrase ‘Georgia peach.’ We love the state of Georgia. Many of our friends and family members are from Georgia. It’s a lovely state for sure, full of lovely, lovely people. But, as a Carolina Girl, I would like to reclaim the peach for the equally lovely state of South Carolina. Because nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina in the morning … eating peaches. Did you know that the peach is the state fruit of South Carolina? And that South Carolina produces more peaches than Georgia, second in the U.S. only to California? And did you know that the South Carolina Peach Council is campaigning to dub SC ‘the tastier peach state’? Yep. Thems are the facts, Jack.
No hard feelings Georgia. I love ya like you’re my own. But how about a friendly inter-state peach-off? What say you? Who’s up for the tasty challenge? Let’s do it!
(Traveling tip: If you happen to be driving along I-85 through Gaffney, South Carolina look for the giant peach water tower, aka the Peachoid.)
All this to say, the peach is truly a beautiful, sweet, downright scrumptious fruit, most worthy of a few states vying to claim it as their very own. So wherever you happen to be, hunt down some ripe peaches while they are in season. Fresh ripe peaches are remarkable when in season. If you lucky enough and are able to get your hands on some, whip up this easy Peach Slab Pie. It’s the perfect place for fresh peaches and oh so easy to make. Plus it’s the perfect pie for serving a peach loving crowd.
This Peach Slab Pie is basic pie prep but in baking sheet form which, as I mentioned before, makes it super easy for serving a crowd while equally as tasty as the standard round version. The peach pie filling is straight forward pie fixing. Quick prep, y’all. As far as the crust, this slab pie recipe requires the equivalent dough of two pies, with a top and bottom crust. Use homemade pie dough or purchase pre-made dough. Whatever works for you!
Ingredients for Peach Slab Pie Recipe
- brown sugar
- ground cinnamon
- ground ginger
- kosher salt
- fresh sliced peaches
- fresh lemon juice
- pie dough (Ina Garten’s perfect pie crust recipe is a good one to use if you want to make your own)
How to Make Peach Slab Pie
- Position oven rack in bottom third of oven and heat oven to 400-degrees F.
- Prepare the peach filling by whisking together brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a large bowl. Next, add the fresh peaches and lemon juice. Toss to coat.
- Place one piece of the pie dough in an ungreased 9x13x1-inch sheet pan. Allow access to overhang.
- Pour the prepared peach filling into the crust and evenly spread.
- For a full top crust, lay the remaining piece of dough on top. Pinch edges of the bottom and top crusts together to seal and tuck under any extra pastry crust. Cut vents across the top of the pie crust. If you would like a lattice or decorative top, cut the top dough piece into strips and carefully interweave them to create a lattice top. You can also cut out decorative shapes in the top crust before placing on top of the pie.
- Finish by brushing the crust with beaten egg, or evenly sprinkle top with about a bit of sugar.
- Ready to bake! Bake the pie until bubbly and golden brown, about 35-40 minutes. Carefully remove the pie from the oven. Allow to cool completely before slicing (if you can wait that long!).
Be sure to follow the complete detailed printable recipe below.
More pie recipes you will love:
- Easy Blueberry Pie Recipe
- Key Lime Pie Recipe
- Homemade Baked Apple Hand Pies Recipe
- Pumpkin Pie with Toasted Pecan Praline Topping
Peach Slab Pie Recipe
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 cups fresh sliced peaches
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 rectangular pieces of pie dough rolled out to approximately 11x14-inches*
- 1 egg, beaten
- Prepare oven by positioning oven rack in bottom third of oven. Preheat oven to 400-degrees F.
- In large bowl, whisk together brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Add peaches and lemon juice; toss to coat. Set aside.
- Fit one piece of pastry dough into an ungreased 9x13x1-inch sheet pan (quarter sheet pan). Allow access overhang. Do not trim. Pour peach filling into crust and spread evenly.
- Place remaining piece of dough on top.** Pinch edges of two crusts together to seal, tuck under any extra pastry crust, as needed. Use a knife to cut vents across top of pie crust.
- Brush crust with beaten egg. Optional: evenly sprinkle top with about a tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until bubbly and golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool completely before slicing (if you can wait that long!).
*Amount of dough is comparable to 4 individual single pie crusts. I recommend Ina Garten’s pie dough recipe, doubled for this slab pie. Store-bought pre-prepared dough may be used. Roll out and shape to appropriate size.
**If desired, strips may be cut and interwoven to create a lattice top, or cut out decorative shapes in the top crust before topping pie.