Peach Slab Pie Recipe
A delicious Peach Slab Pie Recipe for using up those ripe peaches and an easier way for serving pie.
You, like many a human on this earth, may have heard of the phrase ‘Georgia peach.’ We love the state of Georgia. Many of our friends and family members are from Georgia. It’s a lovely state for sure, full of lovely, lovely people. But, as a Carolina Girl, I would like to reclaim the peach for the equally lovely state of South Carolina. Because nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina in the morning … eating peaches. Did you know that the peach is the state fruit of South Carolina? And that South Carolina produces more peaches than Georgia, second in the U.S. only to California? And did you know that the South Carolina Peach Council is campaigning to dub SC ‘the tastier peach state’? Yep. Thems are the facts, Jack.
No hard feelings Georgia. I love ya like you’re my own. But how about a friendly inter-state peach-off? What say you? Who’s up for the tasty challenge? Let’s do it!
All this to say, the peach is truly a beautiful, sweet, downright scrumptious fruit, most worthy of a few states vying to claim it as their very own. So wherever you happen to be, hunt down some ripe peaches while they are in season. Fresh ripe peaches are remarkable when in season. If you are able to get your hands on some, whip up this easy Peach Slab Pie. It’s the perfect place for fresh peaches and oh so easy to make.
This Peach Slab Pie is basic pie prep only in baking sheet size which makes it super easy for serving a crowd and equally as tasty as the standard round version. The peach pie filling is straight forward pie fixing. Quick prep, y’all. As far as the crust, this slab pie recipe requires the equivalent dough of two pies, with a top and bottom crust. Use homemade pie dough or purchase pre-made dough. Whatever works for you!
Peach Slab Pie Recipe
Peach Slab Pie
This delicious homemade Peach Slab Pie Recipe, made with fresh peaches, is perfect for serving a group and is easy make too!
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 cups fresh sliced peaches
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 rectangular pieces of pie dough rolled out to approximately 11×14-inches*
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat oven to 400-degrees F. Position oven rack in bottom third of oven.
- In large bowl, whisk together brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Add peaches and lemon juice; toss to coat. Set aside.
- Fit one piece of pastry dough into an ungreased 9x13x1-inch sheet pan (quarter sheet pan). Allow access overhang. Do not trim. Pour peach filling into crust and spread evenly.
- Place remaining piece of dough on top.** Pinch edges of two crusts together to seal, tuck under any extra pastry crust, as needed. Use a knife to cut vents across top of pie crust.
- Brush crust with beaten egg. Optional: evenly sprinkle top with about a tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until bubbly and golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool completely before slicing (if you can wait that long!).
*Amount of dough is comparable to 4 individual single pie crusts. I recommend Ina Garten’s pie dough recipe, doubled for this slab pie. Store-bought pre-prepared dough may be used. Roll out and shape to appropriate size.
**If desired, strips may be cut and interwoven to create a lattice top, or cut out decorative shapes in top crust before topping pie.
Originally published June 28, 2016.