Key Lime Pie Recipe
My Hope is here today to share a lovely Key Lime Pie Recipe that we made together and then devoured. We need to have a bake shop just so we can have fun baking things, and have others devour it. I digress … this pie, oh my! I let Hope tell you all about it. Take it away, Hope!
Key Lime Pie is an all-American summery dessert perfect for parties or a little afternoon snack. And, its a personal favorite of mine. Super satisfyingly sweet, yet light, I can’t think of many things much better.
This recipe balances the perfect amount of lime-iness, without being too sugary, with just a hint of salt. Topped with some home made whipped cream, and oh my! It won’t last long in your house. At least it didn’t in ours.
For the fresh lime juice we used a stand-up lemon juicer to squeeze several limes. Any form of juicer you have handy can be used. As for the limes, there is no way to know exactly how many you’ll need for 1/3 cup of juice, so just eyeball it and grab a few extra.
The Key Lime Pie graham cracker crust is super easy. So easy, I don’t even know if it’s fair to call it homemade. Simply whisk, then mix the four ingredients until combined. To crush the graham crackers we put half a box of crackers (about 1 1/2 cups) in a plastic zip bag and used a flat bottom glass to grind them. Crushing them up can be kinda fun, and it usually takes a few minutes to get them decently ground. When pressing the mixture into the pie plate, make sure to be firm but gentle (make sense?), making sure it is smooth and even. We use that flat bottomed glass again to carefully press in the bottom and sides.
The filling is almost as easy. Beat the egg whites until stiff, I prefer a hand held beater for this, its easier for smaller amounts. In a separate bowl beat the egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, lime zest, lime juice and salt until well combined. Gently fold in the beaten egg whites. Pour the mixture into your cooled graham cracker crust and bake at 300-degrees F for 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Top with some home made whipped cream, hide a few slices for later, and enjoy!
Key Lime Pie
The quintessential pie for summertime made with fresh lime juice and a graham cracker crust.
For Graham Cracker Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
For lime filling:
- 3 large egg whites
- 3 large egg yolks
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- fresh zest of 1 lime
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
For Graham Cracker Crust:
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and salt. Stir in melted butter; mix together until well combined.
- Evenly and firmly press mixture into 9-inch pie plate. Bake about 10 minutes, until set. Cool completely on a wire rack before filling.
For the Filling:
- Preheat oven to 300-degrees F.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat egg yolks, add in sweetened condensed milk, lime zest, lime juice and salt and mix until combined well. Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Pour mixture into cooled prepared graham cracker crust. Bake at 300-degrees F for 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for 2 at least hours before serving.
- When ready to serve top with fresh whipped cream. Slice and serve.
Originally published June 1, 2015.