Cheeseburger Frittata Recipe
This easy Cheeseburger Frittata Recipe is a delicious low carb option for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
The frittata is one of those dishes that often get overlooked as a go-to. Frittatas are quicker cooking and a tad lighter than their fancy cousin, the quiche, having no crust, or heavy cream. And similar to an omelet, they are the perfect low carb vehicle for a variety of flavor combinations. Which is a good thing, since I was in the mood for a cheeseburger, without the carbs along for the ride. Hence the Cheeseburger Frittata.
For this Cheeseburger Frittata recipe, cheddar cheese, sautéed onions, and browned hamburger, seasoned with salt, pepper, plus our favorite hamburger addition, garlic powder, were added. But create your Cheeseburger Frittata your way. Bacon, tomatoes, along with sautéed mushrooms would be great additions too.
Even though Frittatas are commonly cooked in a skillet stovetop, then finished in the oven, I baked this simple frittata in a pie pan in the oven for the whole cook time. It worked fine and I liked the lighter texture a little better than the more firm bite that most frittatas I have made stovetop have.
This easy frittata is not only a great option for breakfast, but served with soup or salad, but this Cheeseburger Frittata is an excellent option for brunch, lunch or supper too. (And if you wanna enjoy it with a squirt of ketchup, I certainly won’t tell anyone.)
More easy recipes low carb recipes you will enjoy:
- Perfect Deviled Eggs Recipe
- Easy Hot and Sour Soup Recipe
- Eggs in Purgatory Recipe
- Cucumber Dill Greek Yogurt Salad Recipe
Cheeseburger Frittata Recipe
This simple frittata, made with ground beef, sautéed onions and cheddar, is a delicious low carb option for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- 12-16 ounces (weight) ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon + dashes salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon + dashes pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon + dashes garlic powder, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium-large onion, chopped
- 10 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 4 ounces (weight) cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- optional additions: bacon, sautéed mushroom, sliced/diced tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees F.
- Butter or coat with cooking spray pie pan. (I used a 10-inch pie pan for this recipe, but a 9-inch deep dish should work as well.)
- Brown hamburger with a few pinches/dashes of salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and sauté onion with a pinch of salt and pepper until translucent.
- Beat together eggs, milk, 1/2 of shredded cheddar cheese, and 1/4 teaspoon of each: salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Evenly distribute the browned hamburger on the bottom of the pie pan, then top with sautéed onions.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top of hamburger and onion. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake in 400-degrees F oven for 15-20 minutes until set. (I used a 10-inch pie pan, so adjust cooking time accordingly for different size.)
Originally published January 9, 2012.