Easy Hot and Sour Soup Recipe
This Easy Hot and Sour Soup Recipe is full of flavor and super quick to make. So forget take-out, and make it right at home.
There is something about a savory soup that really hits the spot on certain days. Last week we popped in for a bite at one of our favorite Asian restaurants. At this particular restaurant, they always serve us a bowl of soup right after being seated. Most of the time I hardly notice, but that day it hit the spot. It was simple and warm and the most satisfying thing I had eaten all week. And it’s now at the top of my list of take-out options.
Of course, why get takeout, when you can make soup right at home? We enjoy making a few Asian-inspired soups at home, like Egg Drop Soup, Coconut Chicken Soup or Easy Hot and Sour Soup that I’m sharing with you today. It’s a favorite quick go-to and certainly worthy of staying in and cozying up with a warm bowl.
This Easy Hot and Sour Soup Recipe is super simple to make and takes only about 30-45 minutes tops. Begin by lightly browning diced chicken breast in oil for a few minutes. (To simplify things even more, rotisserie chicken may be substituted. See recipe notes below for details.) Once the chicken is lightly browned add in sliced mushrooms, garlic and ground ginger. Stir for about 3 minutes. In goes the vinegar, which adds the slightly sour part of the soup. The vinegar also helps to deglaze the pan. Stir for a few seconds, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pan.
Next, stir in the chicken stock, hot sauce, tamari (or soy) sauce and black pepper. Tofu is optional. If using tofu add it in now. Bring everything to a low simmer and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes. Be sure to taste and adjust seasoning to your preference. You’re almost done! Thicken the soup a bit by stirring in a mixture of cornstarch and water until combined. And finally, finish off by gradually streaming in beaten egg.
That’s all she wrote! Hot and Sour Soup Recipe is so quick and easy. Serve warm. Garnish with thinly sliced green onion, and, if you like it hot, add more hot sauce. Enjoy!
Easy Hot and Sour Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 8 ounces boneless chicken breasts or thighs,* diced
- 8 ounces Baby Bella or other button mushrooms**, thinly-sliced and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, grated/minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper,***
- optional: 8 ounces soft or firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch whisked with 4 tablespoons water
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Heat a large pot over medium-low heat. Add oil. When oil ripples, add chicken to pot in a single layer. Cook, stirring occasionally to lightly brown all sides, about 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar and scrape up any bits from bottom of pan. Add chicken stock, hot sauce, tamari (or soy) sauce, black pepper, and (optional) tofu. Bring to a low simmer; allow to simmer for at least 20 minutes. Taste; add more vinegar, soy, hot sauce, pepper or salt to taste. (If not in a hurry, allow to simmer for longer.)
- Stir in whisked cornstarch/water mixture until combined.
- Reduce heat to low; while stirring soup, gradually stream in beaten egg.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Serve garnished with thinly sliced scallions/green onion and hot sauce to taste.
*Rotisserie chicken or cooked shredded pork may be substituted. If using either, add meat when chicken stock is added.
** Shiitake mushrooms or a blend of mushrooms may also be used.
*** White pepper may also be used, but begin with half the amount as it can tend to be stronger than black pepper.