Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
A spicy bowl of this savory Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup is the perfect ending to a long day. Make a large batch to serve with cornbread and a large salad for watching the big game or just a fun gathering with friends.
As soon as the weather begins to change we begin craving cozy comfort foods like this Chicken Tortilla Soup. Just a hint of coolness in the air or the subtle change in the leaves and I am ready to make a big batch of soup or chili. There’s nothing like a big pot of soup to fill your home with an appetite inducing aroma. And also fill your belly with savory goodness!
What I like about this Chicken Tortilla Soup is that it is hearty and satisfying without being overly heavy and filled with lots of extra calories. This Chicken Tortilla Soup is actually a pretty light and nutritious soup. It’s a superb example of an easy meal that can be light without missing out on flavor, because this is one flavor packed soup!
If we’re entertaining and serving soup like this tasty one, we like to set up a toppings bar with shredded cheese, sour cream or greek yogurt, fresh cilantro, jalapeno, avocado, and corn chips for a tasty meal perfect for feeding a crowd. Since this Chicken Tortilla Soup is great for making ahead of time, this recipe makes for a nice option for entertaining to be able to get some prep done early. It’s also a great option for packing up to take along for potluck events or tailgating.
Ingredients for Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- cooking oil
- dried oregano
- ground cumin
- ground coriander
- chili powder
- ground red pepper
- chopped onion
- garlic cloves
- chicken stock
- crushed tomatoes
- corn tortillas
- roasted or rotisserie chicken
- chopped fresh cilantro
- optional garnishes and toppings: lime wedges, avocado, sour cream, greek yogurt, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, fresh cilantro
How to Make Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- Heat cooking oil over medium heat an a large heavy pot.
- Once oil is heated, add oregano, cumin, coriander, chili powder, red pepper. Stir to toast until fragrant for about 30 seconds.
- Next add in the chopped onion. Cook onion, stirring for about 3 minutes. Then grate garlic cloves directly into pot. Continue to cook onion and garlic, stirring, for another 2 minutes.
- Add in chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, and salt. Bring to a simmer.
Cut two corn tortillas in half, then cut them into thin strips. Stir tortilla strips into the stock. Continue to cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 25 minutes.
- Stir in the roasted chicken and chopped fresh cilantro, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Finish by cutting more corn tortillas in half, then cut them into thin strips (just like before). Heat a skillet over medium heat. Toss tortilla strips in a warm skillet to toast for about 3-5 minutes. Watch to avoid burning. When ready to serve, stir toasted strips into soup.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Serve warm with optional garnishes or toppings.
This Chicken Tortilla Soup is best made with roasted chicken. But, if short on time, grab a rotisserie chicken from the local grocer on the way home to shorten the prep time. You may also roast the chicken the night before, debone it, then cover and refrigerate until ready to prepare the soup. You’ll find this delicious soup is fairly easy to put together. Of course it can be made and left to stew stovetop until everyone is ready to chow down. Grab a spoon and enjoy!
More flavorful soup recipes you will enjoy:
- White Bean and Roasted Mushroom Soup
- Sweet Potato Soup with Walnut Pesto
- Perfect Potato Soup
- Creamy Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup from The Girl Who Ate Everything
- Ham Bean Soup from Best Recipe Box
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup from Small Town Woman
- Instant Pot Potato Corn Chowder from The Typical Mom
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder (any chili powder may be substituted)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 48 ounces canned chicken stock
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6 (6-inch) corn tortillas, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds roasted or rotisserie chicken, cut into chunks or shredded
- 1/4 cup lightly-packed cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional garnish/toppings: Serve with lime wedges, sliced/diced avocado, sour cream, greek yogurt, shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips, additional chopped fresh cilantro.
- In a large heavy pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add herbs and spices (oregano, cumin, coriander, chili powder, red pepper) stir to toast, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add onion, cook, stirring for about 3 minutes. Grate garlic directly into pot, continue to cook, stirring, for another 2 minutes.
- Add stock, crushed tomatoes, and salt. Bring to a simmer.
- Halve 2 of the corn tortillas, then cut into strips, add to stock. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, for at least 25 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and cilantro; reduce heat to medium-low.
- Halve remaining corn tortillas, then cut into strips. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Toss tortilla strips in warm pan to toast, about 3-5 minutes. Be watchful to avoid burning. Just before serving, stir toasted strips into soup.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with optional garnish or toppings.