Uncle Bobby’s Banana Pudding Recipe

Banana Pudding Recipe

Her name was Mattie Maude McCurry. But I called her Nannie. Twelve others called her mama, seven girls and five boys. She was my great-grandmother. A hardworking woman from Georgia who knew her way around a kitchen, cooking “local” before it was hip. Among other things she grew vegetables, milked cows, and raised chickens for eggs and meat. Much of what she knew she learned from her parents, Ma and Pa, who grew and raised what they ate too, even smoking and curing their own meats.

The submarine shaped oil tank in Nannie’s yard provided a safe perch for me to watch as she wrung a chicken’s neck, it then blindly running around below, while I wondered “Who in the heck is gonna catch that thing now?” Only to soon realize that no catching was necessary.

In Nannie’s kitchen food was regularly prepared from from earth to table, resulting in a magnificent spread each time. Nothing fancy. Just darn good. The goodness she could cook up in her large iron skillets would cause any great chef of today to envy.

She taught her twelve how to cook too. Many of the men, my great uncles, becoming masters in the kitchen themselves. There’s Uncle Pierce and his prized BBQ. Sakes alive that man can cook some pork. When he was younger, Uncle Don cooked up goodness at The Seaside Grill, a restaurant on Folly Beach operated by my grandparents. Later Don hosted many reunions and cookouts for which he prepared BBQ, seafood or other tasty goodness. Then there’s Uncle Allen, otherwise known as “Brother” who cooked up a storm. Zucchini bread was one of his specialties. And we can’t forget Uncle Bobby with his homemade banana pudding (what I’m sharing with you today), made fresh from bananas growing right in his Floridian yard.

And those are just the men folk. Don’t even get me started with what the women have up their sleeves.

I have to think that each time her children were in the kitchen, the gifts Nannie passed along swirled in the back of their minds. What a legacy to pass along. Food, sustenance, made with care, and love, and time–something I think we take for granted with our fast paced lives, and grocery stores stocked with prepared foods and drive-thrus on every corner. My Nannie was one skilled woman, and lovingly passed those skills along. I sure hope I can follow in her footsteps with my two.

My Aunt Carole has compiled two cookbooks featuring many family recipes. I found Uncle Bobby’s recipe for Banana Pudding in one of them while hunting for something else. I forgot what I was looking for and happily settled on this instead, Uncle Bobby’s Banana Pudding. My fifteen year old daughter got wind of what was being made and pretty much took charge, working through the recipe herself.

She carefully layered the dessert.

Banana Pudding Recipe

We found mini vanilla wafers and decided on individual servings. Please note, these dessert dishes are huge servings, really double servings–having-dessert-for-dinner kind of servings.

Banana Pudding Recipe

Things came together quite nicely. What a fantastic job by a young chef in the making. A tasty success for sure! She should’ve made a double batch I think, because it didn’t last long.

A big thanks to Uncle Bobby, and more importantly to Nannie, and all of the other Nannies out there who take the time to create such a rich and delicious heritage.

Enjoy!

Uncle Bobby’s Banana Pudding Recipe

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Adapted from Hospitality Southern Style, by Carole Radford.
Serves: Makes about 12 servings.
For pudding:
  • 1½ cup granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
  • ⅛ teaspoon salt
  • ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 4 large eggs, beaten
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 6-8 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
  • 1 12 oz. box of vanilla wafers
For whipped topping (optional):
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
  1. In a double boiler, whisk together the sugar, flour, salt and baking powder.
  2. Mix in the milk, beaten eggs, and vanilla. Combine well and cook, stirring occasionally over medium-high heat until thick, about 10-15 minutes. Let pudding cool.
  3. In a casserole dish, or individual dessert dishes, starting with wafers on the bottom, repeat layers of wafers, bananas and pudding until all ingredients are used.
  4. If desired top with whipped cream.
  5. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Comments

What a lovely story and how wonderful to have 2 cookbooks of compiladed family recipes! What a treasure! The pudding (thank you for making it from scratch and not using a box as we see in many recipes for banana pudding) must be stupendous.

I loved reading this. 12 kids…can’t imagine! But, such wonderful family memories. And a lovely lookin’ puddin’! :)

I so enjoyed reading about your Southern family’s history–very much like my own. I agree-the local food movement was a way of life in the South looooonnnng before it was hip ;)

We had banana pudding for the first time this past year… yum!

I love hearing about the family history- so amazing

I love the idea of a family cookbook, and passing along the gift of cooking through the generations – what a treasure!

I do think these family recipes passed down through the ages are the best. What a great heritage you are passing down to your daughter. Oh, and this dessert looks scrumptious!!

Gloria says

Spent a week at Folly Beach last month, it was great! Can’t wait to try the banana pudding, one of my husband’s favorite desserts!

One of the greatest southern desserts of all time, and also a personal favorite. I’m looking forward to trying this version!

Donna says

you know…we have a sayin’ here in the south……”once you’ve had SCRATCH….you never go back”! :)
    my mother grew up in a family of 9….they either raised it or didn’t have it so cooking with “love” from the
    garden was a necessity. i LOVE reading stories about other families like that of which my mother and her
    siblings grew up in. and don’t even get me started on the “family reunions” that brought forth such a bounty
    of wonderful food that as an adult, i still crave. good thing for me, i was taught at an early age how to cook the
    same way….one of the reasons i had to have gastric bypass! lol! (i just LOVE food!) :)

What a great story. So fantastic that you have such history surrounded by food in your family. The pudding looks delicious! It’s been far too long since I had banana pudding :)

Ah, this brings back memories. My mom made this dessert when I was a girl, and it was always one of our favorites.

The best family recipes are the ones that both parents and kids can love equally. This banana pudding sounds and looks mouthwatering. We need to pick up some vanilla wafers STAT to give this a try. Thanks so much for sharing!

Joanne says

I tried the recipe but the pudding mixture never thickener despite keeping it on the double boiler a little longer than instructed. Any help please?

Hey Joanne,

So sorry you had trouble. Pudding not thickening up can be a pain. Try adding a tad of flour or cornstarch at a time — just a tad — until it thickens up. Hope that helps. It certainly is a tasty dessert to miss out on!

Martha says

Anyone else have trouble getting the pudding to thicken? I have tried this recipe twice now and couldn’t get the pudding to thicken either time! The second time I kept I on the double boiler for over half an hour! What’s wrong?!?

What kind of milk did you use? If you used something other than whole milk that may account for it not thickening up. Hmmm…

ashleigh says

Just made this and didnt have any trouble with the pudding and it tastes oh so good :)

So glad to hear it, Ashleigh! It’s such a special dessert for our family, and boy, does it disappear quickly. Hope you enjoyed it.