Frozen Strawberry Squares

Frozen Strawberry Squares are a refreshing dessert that is easy to make ahead of time using fresh strawberries and cream.

Frozen Strawberry Squares

Who’d guess that the first day of summer is still a few weeks away? Phew. It’s been pretty toasty around here these past few days. As hot as a…  Wanna finish that sentence? We hear weather related colloquialisms all the time here in the south. Like…

It’s hotter than a billy goat in a pepper patch.
It’s as hot as a snakes butt on a hay ride. (you can use that one when it’s really cold too)
It’s as hot as a fox in a hen house.

Know any good ones? We get our entertainment where we can find it.

Well, it may be as hot as hades outside, but you can chill things down a bit with these Frozen Strawberry Squares, a cool sweet treat. They’re easy to whip up.

Frozen Strawberry SquaresCrushed fresh strawberries and a homemade whipped topping are combined.

Frozen Strawberry Squares

Then spread atop a crunchy nutty crust base, then topped off with a sprinkling of more the crispy crust mixture. It all then gets put in the freezer for a while. Simple stuff.

Frozen Strawberry Squares

Other berries can be easily substituted. Blueberries would be mighty fine. And raspberries? Indeed.

Frozen Strawberry Squares

A light and refreshing dessert fitting for the end of a hot day. Enjoy!

And stay cool!

5.0 from 2 reviews

Frozen Strawberry Squares

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Adapted from my Aunt Carole’s “Hearts Go Home for the Holidays” Cookbook.
Serves: Makes about 12 servings.
  • 1 cup flour
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • ¼ cup slivered & chopped almonds (other chopped nuts may be substituted)
  • ½ cup melted butter
  • 2 egg whites
  • ½ cup granulated sugar
  • 10 fluid ounces whipping cream
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries, crushed/smashed
  1. Preheat oven to 325° F.
  2. Combine flour, brown sugar, almonds and melted butter and spread in 8×8″ pan. Bake at 325°F for 20 minutes. Stir a couple of times. Cool
  3. Once cooled, evenly press ⅔ of the mixture in the 8×8″ pan to create crust.
  4. Beat egg whites and granulated sugar until stiff.
  5. Beat whipping cream until soft peaks form.
  6. Gently combine, beaten egg whites, whipped cream, lemon juice, and crushed strawberries. Spread mixture over crust.
  7. Sprinkle remaining crust/crumb mixture on top.
  8. Freeze for 3-6 hours.
  9. Cut in squares to serve. Garnish with additional strawberries if desired.

Comments

That looks so incredibly refreshingly sweet and delicious. I’m in love. And I’d love a piece served upon that happy polka dot plate too! Smiles all around!

True story. I have a bunch of strawberries I need to use and yesterday I thought about a very old recipe I have for strawberry squares that is so good and I made a mental note to get some whipping cream today. A dessert I have never seen anyone else ever make that I really wanted to share.

Then your post today…almost a bit eery you know. So I thought…must be different. And it is but just a very little bit. For me…this is what I love about the culture of foods…how recipes are shared and handed down and changed a bit. Mine is from The Better Homes and Gardens New Cook (hardly new anymore) that I’ve had for over 30 years and the only significant difference is that almonds have been substituted for walnuts. What hasn’t changed…as old as the recipe is, the combination is never old. I have to know company is coming or I think I would literally eat the whole tray. Or, in the spirit of full disclosure, I have.

Now that I’ve seen your pictures, I want them even more.

Love this. My mom’s recipe is almost the same. Good ol’ church cookbook :) I’m so ready for strawberries but we’ve had rain every day!

Beautiful pix, Amy!

Amy,
    These bars look fantastic! I’ll definitely be making these in the near future. The heat is especially brutal when you’re 7 1/2 months pregnant!

April says

Does anyone know how well these stay frozen? I was thinking about making these for a 4th of July celebration (if I can wait that long to make them) but our families are 1 1/2 hr or 2 hrs away. I have a insulated carrier for my dish I could use. Maybe with that and a cold pack it would make the trip? If not, guess I’ll just keep it at home and enjoy it myself :)

This looks so fantastic and refreshing! I’m sure the strawberry is fantastic, but I’m also picturing it with blueberries and almonds. Oh, my! Thanks so much for sharing this one. It’s PERFECT for summer!

Looks amazingly refreshing. I’m all about using the oven to bake as little as possible during the summer. This recipe is perfect for that. :)

Wow! Are you sure it is that easy? I think it will be even easier to eat these little jewels. I’m gonna have to pace myself.

Sheila says

My grandma always made this dessert and I’ve never seen it anywhere else! I called it Grandma’s strawberry fluff and she always made it for my birthday. I haven’t made it for a couple years, but seeing this, I decided I will have to make it soon!

This looks yummy!! Since it’s a summer dessert, doesn’t that mean that it has no calories??? ha!!
    Thanks for sharing! I”m definitely going to make this one! :-)

Christina says

My mom printed out a recipe for me yesterday that she thought looked tasty… lo and behold it was your’s/this one!

Amy, this looks to devious and perfect to hit that summer heat sweet spot, yum. I will be trying these as our weather starts to hit southern temps :)

Here in Charlotte, we like to say it’s “Hotter than a billy goat in heat!” And indeed, it has been!
    Those strawberry squares look to die for! I think I’ll try them for our cookout this weekend! Thanks for the fabulous recipe!!

I have a bunch of friends on Gluten-Free diets. Would it work without the flour? Or maybe with a flour substitute, like buckwheat?

Noamuth says

Don’t know if I’d use whipped cream, as my stomach (and waist) doesn’t particularly like it, maybe a mixture of that and light cream cheese, for extra tang for me!

But these look beautiful, and really simple! Shame it is Winter here at the moment, I’ll have to make some in Spring! <3

Missy says

My grandma also used to make this dessert!! In our family it has always been called Strawberry Yummy…for obvious reasons :) I love this crust so much that I use in in place of graham cracker crust in almost every recipe!

Wow…I just became giddy when I saw this. What a fun dessert!

And, I don’t have a fun catchy saying, but I love “snakes butt on a hay ride” myself…could on those words coming out of my mouth tomorrow! :)

Just made these last night and am currently eating a piece as I type this. SO FREAKING GOOD is all I can say. WOW, these are going to be a staple for my summer desserts! Thanks for the awesome and easy recipe. I think I might try some other fruits too, like blueberries or raspberries. YUM!!!

TRISH says

TO ALL YOU LADIES OUT THERE. THIS IS THE BEST STRAWBERRY DESSERT OUT THERE. I HAVE MADE IT MANY TIMES FOR FRIENDS AND FAMILY. IT IS A BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS RECIPE THAT I LOST WHEN WE MOVED A YEAR AND HALF AGO. I WAS DETERMINED TODAY TO SEARCH GOOGLE AND AFTER 2 HOURS OF SEARCHING, I FOUND IT YEAH.
    MAKE IT SOON. EVERYONE WILL LOVE IT. TRISH

oh this looks like it belongs on my plate, I’m wishing and hoping it takes a giant leap through blogland and when I open my eyes it’s there :) if not I will have to whip up a batch, yum!!! Can’t wait!

chris says

hi there! just put this one together..hope it turns out okay if i use ‘heavy’ whipping cream instead of regular..sure looks good! it will be one of our desserts at Christmas Eve dinner tomorrow night! thanks for the recipe, Amy!

Southern Lighthouse says

I saw a similar recipe that added 4 whole Graham Crackers crushed. I didn’t like the consistency of the crumb mixture as is in this recipe. I added the crumbs, put it back in the oven for a few more minutes and loved it.

Paula Metoxen says

I made this today and it wasn’t quite as good as I expected it to be. The filling could be a little sweeter. I think I would add some cream cheese to the mixture if I tried it again.

What a perfect treat to enjoy during a hot and humid Summer day! It sounds delicious, and looks gorgeous:-) Take care, Terra

Ed M. says

Just got home from Easter dinner at the in-laws where I took this as the desert. Everyone LOVED it. Tasted like the best quality strawberry ice cream with an incredible crust.
    Sunday’s are very busy for me so I made it Saturday night. Since it was the end of March the strawberries aren’t supper sweet so I sliced them and macerated them in sugar for a bit while putting everything together.

We were expecting a big crowd so I made @ 2.5 times the crust (really good), doubled everything else and made it in a 13X9″ pan. One of those deserts where some of the women said, “None for me” and then ate almost all of it from their husband’s plate!

All in all a HUGE success and a keeper for another day.

Thanks for the recipe!

Hey Ed!

So good to hear it! I’m looking forward to fresh strawberries from the farm down the road to make this again soon. Happy spring!

wendy says

Great recipe!
    Wish I’d seen your recipe before making the buggered up version on Pip & Ebby!
    Couldn’t put my finger on what was wrong: “add the whipping cream, beat for 6 mins”
    Duh! -Add the whipped cream!
    As for taste, it’s fine. However, whipping the cream and folding in the rest would have made for a much airier texture. I’m surprised beating the ingredients for 6 mins didn’t turn the mixture into butter!
    Sure wish people who aren’t knowledgeable would stop messing it up for those who actually want a proper recipe.

Ginny says

My mother has made these since I was a child(I am 47 now) and I have always loved them. She uses pecans instead of almonds and they are delicious!

Elena says

My mom entered this recipe in a contest sponsored by Better Homes and Gardens when I was 6 years old. (She won, by the way!) Thanks for the memories. :)