Who’d guess that the first day of summer is still a few weeks away? Phew. It’s been pretty toasty around here these past few days. As hot as a… Wanna finish that sentence? We hear weather related colloquialisms all the time here in the south. Like…
It’s hotter than a billy goat in a pepper patch.
It’s as hot as a snakes butt on a hay ride. (you can use that one when it’s really cold too)
It’s as hot as a fox in a hen house.
Know any good ones? We get our entertainment where we can find it.
Well, it may be as hot as hades outside, but you can chill things down a bit with these Frozen Strawberry Squares, a cool sweet treat. They’re easy to whip up.
Then spread atop a crunchy nutty crust base, then topped off with a sprinkling of more the crispy crust mixture. It all then gets put in the freezer for a while. Simple stuff.
Other berries can be easily substituted. Blueberries would be mighty fine. And raspberries? Indeed.
A light and refreshing dessert fitting for the end of a hot day. Enjoy!
And stay cool!
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup slivered & chopped almonds (other chopped nuts may be substituted)
- ½ cup melted butter
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 10 fluid ounces whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries, crushed/smashed
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, almonds and melted butter and spread in 8×8″ pan. Bake at 325°F for 20 minutes. Stir a couple of times. Cool
- Once cooled, evenly press ⅔ of the mixture in the 8×8″ pan to create crust.
- Beat egg whites and granulated sugar until stiff.
- Beat whipping cream until soft peaks form.
- Gently combine, beaten egg whites, whipped cream, lemon juice, and crushed strawberries. Spread mixture over crust.
- Sprinkle remaining crust/crumb mixture on top.
- Freeze for 3-6 hours.
- Cut in squares to serve. Garnish with additional strawberries if desired.