Pecan Snowball Cookies Recipe
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pecan Snowball Cookies are a traditional cookie made with a simple shortbread type of dough mixed with chopped pecans, then rolled in powdered sugar for a festive (and sweet) finish. They are easy to make and even easier to eat!
There are many versions of this cookie, called by many names: Russian Tea Cakes, Italian Wedding Cookies, Mexican Wedding Cookies, Snowball Cookies. Call them whatever you would like. I just call them good. This version includes pecans, plus, I added a dash of cinnamon, because a hint of spice is always nice.
As far as cookie making goes, these are pretty easy to make. The dough for these Pecan Snowball Cookies is almost identical to that of Pecan Sandies. Powdered sugar is used for this recipe instead of the granulated sugar called for in the Pecan Sandies recipe.
Begin by beating together the butter and confectioners’ sugar until smooth. In goes the vanilla extract. Beat until smooth. Next, gradually mix in the flour, salt, cinnamon and ice water. Combine well. Mix in the chopped pecans until incorporated. Wrap dough with plastic wrap and chill dough for at least 30 minutes.
Once chilled, form 1-inch balls and place on lined baking sheet about 1-inch apart. Bake at 250-degrees for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and while still warm, roll each cookie in confectioners’ sugar. Place on cooling rack and allow to totally cool. Once the cookies have cooled, if desired, toss them with more confectioners’ sugar for extra sweetness.
These Pecan Snowball Cookies are a nice sweet bite to serve with coffee, tea or cocoa. Or if you are looking for an edible gift idea, these cookies package well for gift giving during the holidays. Of course they are certainly a pretty addition to a holiday cookie tray!
Here are some more cookie recipes to add to the cookie tray:
- Pecan Meringue Cookies Recipe
- Peanut Butter Blossoms Recipe
- Chocolate Coconut Oatmeal No Bake Cookies Recipe
- Man Bars Cookie Bars from South Your Mouth
Pecan Snowball Cookies Recipe
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) butter, slightly softened
- 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ice water
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans (walnuts may be substituted)
- additional confectioners' sugar for coating
- Preheat oven to 250-degrees F. Line baking sheets with baking parchment.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in vanilla extract.
- Gradually mix in flour, salt, cinnamon and ice water. Mix to combine well.
- Continue to mix while sprinkling in the chopped pecans. Mix until incorporated.
- Wrap dough with plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Form dough into 1-inch balls. Place on a lined baking sheet about 1-inch apart.
- Bake at 250-degrees F for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and while still warm, roll each cookie in confectioners' sugar. Place on cooling rack and allow to totally cool. If desired, once the cookies have cooled, toss with more confectioners' sugar for extra sweetness.
Originally published December 24, 2014.