Hamburger Onion Mushroom Frittata Recipe
This Hamburger Onion Mushroom Frittata Recipe makes such a satisfying and tasty meal. It’s an excellent low carb choice for breakfast, lunch or dinner that can be made in under 30 minutes.
Over the holidays we were blessed with another iron skillet, one from my grandmother that my mother was passing along to me. The best kind of gift ever! It’s a square-ish skillet about 9-inches across. We’ve used it a bit. We can never seem to store our iron skillets and pans for any length of time before they are called upon again so usually you’ll find them stove top. A couple of weeks ago, Randy found the perfect dish for the new-to-us square skillet: a Hamburger Onion Mushroom Frittata Recipe (or omelet, if you fold it over). Oh my.
We’ve been trying to cut back on carbs. It’s hard, man. When trying to eat low carb or gluten free, the frittata or omelet is your tasty friend. And they don’t get much better than this combo, I assure you. A hearty breakfast, lunch or dinner, full of flavor, short on carbs, that can be made in about 20 minutes? Yep, it doesn’t get much better than that.
I don’t know if this recipe is truly classified as an omelet or a frittata. Honestly, I really don’t care. It could be considered a mix of both and depending on your preparation and/or serving presentation, it could go either way. Randy prepares this like a frittata, but serves it as an omelet, folding it over as he removes it from the pan. Maybe a Fromelet? Or Omelittata? Call it whatever you like. I call it good.
A few more low carb recipes:
- Roasted Broccoli Recipe
- Asparagus and Shrimp Salad Recipe
- Pimento Cheese Recipe
- Garlic Lemon Green Beans Recipe
- Egg Drop Soup Recipe
- Basic Baked Eggs Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ pound ground beef
- 4 ounces mushroom, sliced or quartered
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup shredded gruyere (or gouda or swiss)
- In a small bowl beat eggs together with parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In an oven-safe skillet brown ground beef over medium heat. Remove browned meat, set aside. Leave beef fat in the pan.
- Saute onions and mushrooms over medium heat in remaining beef fat until softened, about 8-10 minutes. Remove onions and mushrooms, set aside.
- Adjust oven rack to middle and preheat broiler to 500-degrees F.
- Add olive oil to skillet and swirl to coat. Evenly spread browned ground beef, onions and mushrooms over skillet. Pour beaten egg mixture oven top; swirl skillet to evenly distribute beaten eggs. Cook over medium heat about 2 minutes. Sprinkle cheese evenly over top. Turn burner off and transfer skillet to oven.
- Cook under broiler for 1-2 minutes until eggs are done.
- Remove from oven and carefully transfer omelet to plate to serve, folding omelet in half if desired.