Cheese Broccoli Casserole Recipe
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Classic casserole dishes like this Cheese Broccoli Casserole are almost a given at any potluck dinner or holiday meal. This cheesy broccoli casserole is a crowd favorite for sure.
There are those certain dishes that make a regular appearance on our holiday table. Ask my dad what he wants and Broccoli Casserole will be on his list. And no wonder, broccoli roasted in a cheesy and creamy sauce then topped with a crunchy topping, what’s not to like?
This Cheese Broccoli Casserole is not only cheesy but it’s pretty easy too (check out that rhyming) AND it’s even easier to eat. I’d plan on making a double batch, or make one for now and freeze the other for later.
Made with fresh broccoli (although frozen may be substituted) this recipe is a bit of a fresher version without a bunch of extra processed junk (if you don’t count the french fried onions on top), yet not lacking one single bit in the flavor category.
This Cheese Broccoli Casserole recipe does not include the regular cream of mushroom soup. Instead a simple roux mixture is made that takes no time to whip up. Shredded sharp cheddar, a bit of diced onion, and fresh broccoli are added, along with beaten egg, mayonnaise, garlic powder and a smidgen of salt and pepper to make this flavorful classic favorite.
Oh wait! I almost forgot the crunchy and savory french fried onions sprinkled on top. What an invention, those onions! Of course, if you need a substitute a combination of melted butter and crushed saltines or Ritz may be used in a pinch.
So whether you’re serving turkey, ham or a scrumptious rib roast this Cheese Broccoli Casserole will make the nice compliment to your holiday table.
More delicious recipes for holiday entertaining:
Cheese Broccoli Casserole Recipe
- 8 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper*
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup french fried onions**
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Prepare 9x13-inch baking dish by buttering or lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Steam broccoli for 5 minutes. Drain.
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and continue to cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes. Whisk in chicken broth, milk, and garlic continuing to whisk until it slightly thickens. Simmer for 1-2 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat egg. Whisk in mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in warm flour/broth mixture. Stir in grated cheese and chopped onion. Add broccoli and stir to fully incorporate.
- Spread mixture evenly in prepared baking dish. Top with fried onions.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes at 350-degrees F, until golden and bubbly.
*If you like a little spice, in addition to the black pepper, add a few pinches or ground red pepper to kick it up a notch. **French Fried Onion topping substitute: Melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Mix 1/2 sleeve of crushed saltine crackers with melted butter and evenly spread over casserole.