Sausage Balls Recipe
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Sausage Balls recipe is the perfect savory appetizer or addition to a meal during the holidays. This recipe is easy and made without Bisquik or a baking mix.
There are those certain foods that are always present at each holiday year after year. They become a permanent expectation, like the Family Tablecloth, or Aunt Judy’s cookies. Sausage Balls are one of those foods. From as long as I can remember I remember Sausage Balls being a part of our holiday celebrations.
If you’ve never had Sausage Balls you may not understand why they have become a regular, but if you have, you know what I mean. They are the perfect bite of savory, with just a hint of spice on the back end. They can be served at breakfast, lunch or dinner, or as an appetizer. They’re a flexible food. Of course, everything in moderation. It’s a good thing we only enjoy these during the winter holiday months because they can be sneaky addicting.
Another thing I like about this recipe is that once made the sausage balls can be frozen before or after baking, for up to a couple of months. How’s that for easy party prep?
Sausage Balls Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne/red pepper
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 pound sharp cheese, grated
- 1 pound ground sausage (I like the sage flavored sausage for this recipe.)
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne/red pepper and butter. Add grated cheese and toss to coat. Crumble up sausage as it is added in and using your (clean) hands, combine well. The best way to fully incorporate the mixture is to squeeze and squish, almost kneading it together. It takes a few minutes but it works.
- Firmly roll into approximately 1 1/2-inch balls and place on un-greased baking sheets about an inch or so apart.
- Bake at 400-degrees F for 15 minutes.