Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese Recipe
This super easy and crazy delicious three cheese Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese Recipe is just what any dinner table (especially one with kids) needs.
An old friend shared this three cheese Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese Recipe with me a while ago. She’s a good friend with always something yummy to share. I’ve adapted the original recipe a bit, as we all tend to do from time to time, in order to use the ingredients we usually have on hand. This is a super easy recipe with fabulous results. We usually double the batch because this mac and cheese disappears real quick.
As I said, it doesn’t get much easier than this Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese Recipe. The fact that’s it’s prepared and then left to cook until ready to serve in a slow cooker is not only easy, but it leaves precious oven space for larger meals, especially during the holidays. This Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese is also great for taking as a potluck. The perfect potluck dish that will disappear! Again, you may want to go ahead and double the batch.
Of course, this mac and cheese recipe can easily be made in the oven too. Be sure to check out the notes section of the recipe below for oven baking instructions.
The preparation for this slow cooker mac and cheese recipe is simple. Cook the macaroni noodles according to the package instructions. Begin by creating a basic roux on the stovetop. Whisk in milk and continue to whisk until it thickens. Once thickened, transfer to your slow cooker. Then mix in sour cream, salt, black pepper, dry mustard and red pepper. Add in drained pasta and stir to combine. Finally, add in the shredded cheddar, Havarti and Provolone. Stir to combine. Almost done! Cover and cook on low for at least an hour. Stir and continue to cook for another 30-45 minutes until thoroughly warmed and all cheese has melted.
The mixture of cheeses, cheddar, Havarti and Provolone, create one oh so delicious batch of macaroni and cheese. Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese really is pretty delicious and deserving of a place on a holiday or special occasion menu. And while you’re in the slow cooker mode, check out this recipe for Crockpot Meatloaf from Julie’s Eats and Treats.
Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (about 1 1/2 cup)
- 4 ounces shredded Havarti cheese (about 1 1/2 cup)
- 4 ounces shredded provolone cheese (about 1 1/2 cup)
- Grease a 3-quart slow cooker with cooking spray, butter or oil.
- Cook macaroni noodles to al dente according to package instructions.
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and continue to cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes. Whisk in the milk, continuing to whisk until it slightly thickens, about 2 minutes. Pour into crockpot. Stir in sour cream, salt, black pepper, dry mustard and red pepper until combined.
- Drain macaroni. Add to crockpot, stir to combine.
- Stir in cheeses to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 1 hour, stir; cover and cook for another 30-45 minutes, until warmed through, or until ready to serve.
Oven instructions: Preheat oven to 325-degrees F. Prepare recipe as instructed, except combine all ingredients stovetop and add to a buttered or greased 3-quart baking casserole dish. Bake at 300-degrees F until heated through.