Bacon Potatoes au Gratin Recipe
Creamy cheesy Bacon Potatoes au Gratin is a hearty savory side dish that is the perfect compliment to pork, beef or chicken. And it is so easy to make!
Hunger, you’ve met your match. Allow me to introduce you to Bacon Potatoes au Gratin. A medley of cheese, bacon, potatoes, onion and garlic, with a few more seasonings, creates an oh so satisfying side dish. Although it is certainly hearty enough to be a meal all on its own. This delicious creamy, cheesy potato dish is indulgent for sure and comfort food at its best. All things in moderation, right?
These Bacon Potatoes au Gratin are not only scrumptious but super easy too. Begin by frying slices of bacon in a large skillet. Then diced onion, garlic, salt, pepper, dried thyme, and paprika are sauteed in the remaining bacon fat. A bit of flour is added and quickly browned before milk is added to create the creamy base. A combination of shredded cheese, Havarti and cheddar, plus the crispy crumbled bacon is finally added to the party. Everything is then added to a casserole dish then baked for a while. The dish is topped with more cheese and a dusting of paprika, then baked some more until slightly browned. It really is a very easy dish to prepare. Plus, Bacon Potatoes au Gratin can easily be made a day ahead, cover and refrigerated, then rewarmed in the oven before serving.
While we have enjoyed these filling potatoes au gratin as a main entree, they are a fabulous partner for ham, steak, grilled chicken or even meatloaf (check out this Meatloaf Recipe for Spaceships and Laserbeams). Add a big green tossed salad for a lovely meal that beats any restaurant on a Friday night.
More delicious potato recipes you’ll enjoy:
- Scalloped Potatoes with Leeks and Thyme
- Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe
- Quick Baked Potatoes
- Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
Bacon Potatoes au Gratin Recipe
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, grated/minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika, plus more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 4 ounces Harvarti cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- Heat oven to 375-degrees F. Spray a 1 1/2-quart casserole with cooking spray.
- Fry bacon in a large skillet or sauce pan. Transfer to paper towel lined plate. Leave bacon fat in skillet.
- Over medium heat, cook diced onion in bacon fat for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add grated garlic, salt, pepper, thyme and paprika, cook, stirring for 1 minute. Sprinkle in flour and cook stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk; while stirring constantly, bring to a steady simmer. Simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Crumble bacon. Mix shredded cheeses together. Stir in bacon and only 1 1/2 cups of cheese until melted.
- Add potato slices to mixture and stir to coat. Pour potatoes with cheese sauce into prepared casserole dish.
- Bake uncovered at 375-degrees F for 1 hour until potatoes are tender. Spread remaining shredded cheese over potatoes along with a dusting of paprika. Bake uncovered for an additional 15 or until top is browned.
Bacon Potatoes au Gratin can easily be made a day ahead, cover and refrigerated, then rewarmed in the oven before serving.