Scalloped Potatoes with Leeks and Thyme
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Delectable Scalloped Potatoes made with cream, leeks, garlic, and thyme is a savory side dish perfect for any occasion, especially the holidays.
Sometimes when we make certain dishes that knock our socks off, we’re like, “If we had a restaurant, this would definitely go on the menu.” Do you ever do that? This Scalloped Potatoes with Leeks and Thyme is one of those dishes. Out of this world is what this is.
Easy Scalloped Potatoes
In my opinion, this potato side dish is the perfect combination of potatoes, cream, butter with leek, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper to round out the savory combo. It is the quintessential scalloped potato recipe.
These potatoes are similar to a Gratin Dauphinois, as there is no cheese present and it is prepared with uncooked thinly sliced potatoes that are cooked over a long period of time. Totally scrumptious! I’ve always loved the flavor combination of potato and leeks. Add a touch of garlic and thyme, and these Scalloped Potatoes become irresistible.
Step by step instructions
These scalloped potatoes come together quickly and easily.
- In a medium saucepan that has been preheated, add butter and leeks. Stir those until softened, then add garlic, thyme followed by the milk, heavy cream, salt, and pepper. Boil the mixture for 5 minutes or until it is slightly thickened.
- Add the potatoes and transfer everything to a baking dish coated in butter. Bake in the preheated oven for around 1 hour at 350-degrees F.
What to serve with Scalloped Potatoes
Whether serving beef, pork, or poultry, these potatoes are the perfect accompaniment for any special meal. I love serving them with my Chicken Breasts with Mushroom Cream, Glazed Baby Pork Ribs, or Roasted Turkey. Or if you’re eating meatless or a potato addict like me, serve this along with a tossed green salad or a tasty kale salad such as this Garlicky Orange Kale Salad for a mighty fine meal indeed.
More delicious potato recipes that you will enjoy:
- Quick Baked Potatoes
- Texas Style New Potato Salad Recipe
- Perfect Potato Soup Recipe
- Twice Baked Potatoes Gluten Free
This recipe was originally published back in December of 2009 when I didn’t know much about taking pictures of food. However, I decided it was time for a bit of updating and well worth a reintroduction so you can enjoy this delectable side dish too! Although the recipe has been slightly tweaked since 2009, it is as delicious as ever.
Scalloped Potatoes with Leeks and Thyme Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter plus more for baking dish
- 1 cup finely chopped leeks (if needed, sweet onion may be substituted)
- 2 cloves garlic, grated/minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds yellow/golden potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees F. Coat an 8x8-inch (or approximate) baking dish with butter.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add butter. When butter has melted, add leeks; cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme, continue to cook, stirring for 30 seconds.
- Stir in milk, heavy cream, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer, cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture has slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes; stir to coat potatoes. Transfer mixture to prepared dish, spreading potatoes evenly in dish.
- Bake until potatoes are done, lightly brown and bubbly, about 1 hour. If time permits, baste potatoes with sauce halfway through cooking. Let cool slightly before serving.
Originally published December 22, 2009.