Lemon Bars Recipe
Growing up I recall Lemon Bars being at just about every summer get together. Whether it was a cookout or a baby shower, they were there. It is the ultimate sweet treat for any time of the year!
I have always loved lemon drop candies. As a child that little white paper bag always stood out in the candy aisle. One lemon drop fit perfectly in each cheek. It was a sweet and tart challenge to savor it there as long as I could stand it. The sweet plus tart combination is certainly an irresistible one in any form. Especially in these Lemon Bars.
Lemon Bars certainly remind me of those old fashioned candies. They are an easy dessert to make too. First a simple shortbread crust is made with flour, confectioners’ sugar, salt and butter and spread evenly in an 8×8 inch baking pan. The crust is baked first. A simple lemon curd filling is made using eggs, lemon juice, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt, then poured over baked crust. The bars are then baked again until golden and slightly set. It really is such an easy recipe. And it’s like bright sunshine in dessert form!
There is nothing subtle about the flavor in these Lemon Bars. Just like those lemon drop candies, the brightness reaches out and grabs you—just like the sunshine! With that said, a little sweetness in moderation goes a long way, and a little bit of these Lemon Bars definitely goes a long way. This recipe makes an 8×8-inch pan of bars that may be cut into 16 satisfying servings. Of course, adjust the serving size to your sweet tooth.
More delicious lemon recipes to brighten your day:
- Lemon Blueberry Buttermilk Cake
- Meyer Lemon Creme Brulee
- Lemon Ginger Tea Recipe
- Lemon Pie Ice Cream Recipe
- Meyer Lemon Thyme Icebox Cake Recipe
A shortbread crust is topped with a sweet tart lemon curd for the perfect summer dessert.
For shortbread crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar (plus extra for sprinkling)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted and cooled
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325-degrees F. Line 8×8-inch pan with baking parchment.
- For shortbread crust: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, confectioners’ sugar, and salt. Stir while streaming in melted butter; stir until just combined. Spread shortbread dough evenly into bottom of pan and bake at 325-degrees F for about 20-25 minutes, until slightly golden on edge.
- For Lemon Filling: While crust is baking, in a mixing bowl use an electric mixer to beat eggs on high until frothy, lighter in color and slightly thickened. Lower speed to medium and beat in lemon juice, and sugar. Sprinkle in flour, baking powder and salt; mix to combine.
- Pour mixture over shortbread crust. Bake at 325-degrees F until set and slightly golden; about 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before cutting. When ready to serve, sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar before cutting. Makes 16.
Originally published May 27, 2015.