Apple Crisp Recipe
Warm Apple Crisp made with a buttery cinnamon oatmeal topping is a delightful dessert to serve on any occasion. It’s easy to prepare and even easier to devour!
When the air turns even the slightest bit cooler I immediately start thinking about making cozy comfort food dishes and warm baked fruit desserts. Apple Crisp is at the top of that list. Once the kitchen is a bit more comfortable for baking, Apple Crisp starts making a regular appearance over and over again in our kitchen. It’s one of the easiest desserts to make for a group and probably one of the least expensive too! Not to mention totally delicious.
While I’m all about a decadent chocolate cake, warm Apple Crisp with a buttery, crunchy cinnamon oatmeal topping is pretty hard to resist. And boy does it make a house smell like a home! Apples and cinnamon certainly can do that, can’t they?
Preparation for this apple crisp is easy. Peel and slice apples, then toss with a bit of cinnamon, sugar and lemon juice. Spread the apples in a buttered dish and top with a sprinkling of a sweet buttery crunchy topping. The crunchy topping is the best! Serve this Apple Crisp warm and topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream for a dessert that will get rave reviews every single time. Enjoy and happy cooking, y’all!
A few Apple Crisp recipe notes:
- This apple crisp is great for entertaining. It can be prepped ahead of time, covered and refrigerated, then pop it in the oven to bake when ready to enjoy.
- While any apples that are typically good for use in baking are fine to use for this recipe, I used a combination of Granny Smith and Gala apples, mostly because that’s what I had on hand. The Granny Smith apples hold together well while baking, giving this apple crisp not only a bit of bite, but that lovely subtle tartness.
Apple Crisp Recipe
- 8 cups cored and peeled sliced apples
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (juice from about 1 lemon)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees F. Butter a 2 1/2 quart (approximately) baking dish.
- In a bowl, toss sliced apples with lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Spread in buttered baking dish.
- Using a fork or fingers, mash/press together remaining ingredients until combined well. Crumble evenly over sliced apples.
- Bake 35-45 minutes until apples are tender and top is golden.
- Serve warm. This dessert is delicious served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream.