Apple Cinnamon Muffins with a Cinnamon Crunch Topping
These Apple Cinnamon Muffins with a delicious Cinnamon Crunch Topping are the perfect partner for a cup of coffee.
When the slightest hint of a change in season hits this time of the year, everything apple is on my mind. We’re fortunate to live close enough to drive to a local orchard to pick our own apples each year. It’s a great way to get in the mood for autumn and say goodbye to the heat of summer. So long heat of summer! Welcome autumn! Hurry up and bring all of those delicious apple recipes along with you — especially the desserts.
If you’ve got a bunch of fresh apples, particularly Granny Smith, boy do I have a recipe for you. This Apple Cinnamon Muffins recipe is the most perfect place to use those fresh picked apples. So go ahead and pick a few extras for baking up a batch or three of these muffins.
These Apple Cinnamon Muffins with a delicious Cinnamon Crunch Topping are just what a cup of coffee on a crisp autumn morning needs. Filled with bites of tart Granny Smith apple and full of cinnamon goodness, then topped with a crunchy cinnamon topping, these muffins are a delicious start to the day or a welcoming afternoon snack. I like them best when they are still slightly warm — yum! They have a tendency to disappear before they have a chance to cool down. Consider doubling your batch. Apple Cinnamon Muffins for everyone!
Add these muffins to your next brunch menu or pack along in a lunch box for a nice treat or have a batch ready and warm for the kids after-school snack. OR warm up and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! Yay! They really are perfect any time of the day!
More tasty muffin recipes:
Apple Cinnamon Muffins with a Cinnamon Crunch Topping Recipe
Apple Cinnamon Muffins Recipe with a Cinnamon Crunch Topping
Bites of apple, cinnamon and ginger combine to make a perfect muffin for any morning.
For the Cinnamon Crunch Topping:
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon butter, slightly softened
For the muffins:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup finely diced Granny Smith apple
- Use a fork to mix together cinnamon crunch topping ingredients until crumbly. Set aside in a cool place or chill in the refrigerator until ready to use. If left out the topping may be too soft to crumble.
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees F. Grease standard muffin pan(s) or line with paper baking cups for 12 muffins.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ginger. Set aside.
- In large a mixing bowl, whisk together butter and brown sugar until smooth. Whisk in buttermilk, vanilla and egg and continue to whisk until smooth.
- Stir in flour mixture until just combined. Batter may be lumpy. Do not over mix.
- Fold in diced apple.
- Divide batter evenly among 12 muffin cups. Crumble cinnamon streusel topping evenly over tops (about 2 teaspoons per muffin).
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until done and slightly golden brown.
Originally published August 27, 2015.