Not sure what the weather is like where you are, but things are starting to warm up here in my neck of the woods, which beckons for lighter fare, and brings about a strong hankering for fresh fruits and salads. It would be nice if I would crave that year round, huh? These Black Bean Salad Boats (for a lack of a better term) sure do meet the need for a crunchy snack, appetizer or light lunch. The ingredients are basic and adjustable to your liking, and it’s quick prep.
The bean salad can be made a day ahead.
Romaine hearts make the “boats.”
The “boats” can be filled a little prior to serving and will stay crisp. Sturdy romaine hearts hold up well.
A little basic chopping and mixing and you’ve got a dish packed with healthy protein and fiber, among other essential nutrients. Black bean are excellent for healthy goodness.
- 15 oz. can black beans, drained (I prefer Bush’s Beans.)
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 tablespoons red/purple onion, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 4 pieces bacon, cooked, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- Juice from ½ lime
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Mix ingredients for bean salad together.
- Fill romaine heart “boats” with bean salad.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
(I have an ongoing relationship with Bush’s Beans, but they did not compensate me for this post.)