Mexican Black Bean Pizza
These Mexican Black Bean Pizzas are the perfect for lunch or appetizers and they couldn’t be easier to make.
Crunchy chips, spicy salsa, and cheese dip … when the craving hits it’s hard to satisfy with something else. My daughter requests Mexican food several times a week. Of course I don’t oblige that often. It certainly is a favorite in our household, but much of it isn’t on the healthy side.
With these Mexican Black Bean Pizzas, you can create your own crunchy and cheesy version in less time that it would take to drive to your local Mexican restaurant. And it’s healthier too. No fat laden beans, or extra oils with this totally satisfying dish. I can testify that it’s Mexican-food-fan-daughter approved. Two thumbs up — three, if she had another thumb.
The original recipe from Bush’s Beans calls for pulled pork or chorizo, but I substituted lighter, shredded roasted chicken. You can delete the meat for a vegetarian version without losing any flavor. Personally, I think the black beans are filling enough on their own to be able to avoid the addition of meat altogether. Black beans are so good for that! They always add such a great texture and heartiness to so many dishes, and them mashed then combined with sauteed onions for this recipe … wow! Goodness, I could just eat the beans and onions on their own.
You’ll find the recipe is simple enough, and can easily be adapted for preparation on the grill. It would be great for a camp outing too! Enjoy!
Originally published June 13, 2013.
Check out these other tasty black bean recipes:
- Black Bean and Cheese Quesadillas
- Hot Black Bean Fiesta Dip | Aggie’s Kitchen
- Black Beans and Sweet Potatoes | Reluctant Entertainer
- Turkey Black Bean Burgers | Dine & Dish
- BUSH’s Beans Recipe and Meal Ideas
Mexican Black Bean Pizza
Cheese, BUSH’S® Black Beans, salsa, green chiles, and sausage give these tortilla pizzas a spicy, Mexican spin.
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can BUSH’S® Black Beans, drained
- 1/2 cup salsa, mild or spicy
- 2 ounces canned chopped green chiles
- 2 ounces pulled shredded roasted chicken, or pork, chorizo (casing removed), (delete for vegetarian version)
- Heat oven to 350-degrees F. Mix half the Cheddar cheese with the Monterey Jack cheese in a bowl; set aside.
- Brush a baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of the oil and arrange tortillas in a single layer. Puncture each tortilla a few times with a fork. Sprinkle remaining Cheddar cheese evenly over 4 of the tortillas, then cover each with a remaining tortilla. Bake 5-6 minutes or until browned slightly.
- While tortillas bake, heat remaining oil in a skillet and cook onions until browned. Add beans and partially mash with a potato masher or the back of a fork.
- Remove tortilla pizzas from oven and top each with bean mixture, spreading evenly. Top with salsa, green chiles, pulled pork or chorizo and cheese mixture.
- Return to oven. Bake until cheese melts, about 10-20 minutes.
Recipe from Bush’s Beans.
(This post is sponsored by Bush’s Beans. I have an ongoing relationship with the nice folks from Bush’s Beans. This post is sponsored by Bush’s Beans, but as always, all opinions are my own.)