All things lime seem to have taken over my taste buds, especially lately. Let’s see, there’s been lime sherbet, lime cookies, lime cupcakes, and grapefruit and lime cake. And I never, well, hardly ever, go to Sonic, but when I do, the lime slush is what I want. It’s what I need.
Then, just last week, a sudden craving for a cherry limeade took hold of me. Yep, Sonic has those too, but I wanted a real homemade version, one that I could feel ever so slightly better about because I’d know what was in it. A cherry limeade that would make angels sing. A cherry limeade that would bring worldwide peace.
Yeah, that’s a lot to ask of a beverage, but you never know.
So I pulled out the needed ingredients and set about to meet the challenge my taste buds had set before me. I thought it would take a few versions to perfect, but sometimes things are just meant to be. The first version, right off the bat, was exactly what I was craving. A sweet combination of lime and cherry, with a little fizz, and no artificial flavors or colorings.
Not sure if angels sang, but my taste buds sure did. And I’ve got a call into the United Nations about putting this on their regular meeting menu. You can’t be drinking this cherry limeade and have anger spew from your mouth. It’s impossible. I may be on to something here. You try it, and see what I mean.
Here’s what you’ll need to get started: sugar, water, limes, pure cherry juice (no sweeteners added), and club soda.
When the simple syrup has cooled, pour it in a pitcher.
Or the cherry juice, then the lime juice. Or the cherry juice and the lime juice at the same time. Or a little of the cherry, a little of the lime, a little more of the cherry, and the rest of the lime.
When you’ve figured out your lime juice/cherry juice approach, finish it off with the club soda.
Stir all together to combine well and you’re ready to serve.
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup water
- ½ cup lime juice (approximately 4½ limes; use the remainder of limes for garnish)
- 1½ cups pure cherry juice (no sweeteners added)
- 2 cups club soda
- Begin by dissolving the sugar in the water over medium heat to create a simple syrup. Set aside when done to let cool completely.
- While the simple syrup is cooling, juice the limes.
- When the simple syrup has cooled pour that in a pitcher, add the lime juice, cherry juice and club soda. (Do not add the club soda until ready to serve.)
- Stir all together to combine well and serve immediately over crushed ice or cover and refrigerate.