Homemade Peach Ice Cream Recipe
This fresh homemade peach ice cream is the perfect tasty treat to cool off with this summer. Once you make this Homemade Peach Ice Cream your friends and family will be asking for this sweet frozen treat all summer long. And it’s easy too!
Homemade ice cream is one of my favorite things to make all year round. We like to churn up Butterfinger Peanut Butter Ice Cream, Lemon Pie Ice Cream, or when peaches are in season, it’s hard not to make a batch (or three) of Homemade Peach Ice Cream. Peach ice cream just screams summer, doesn’t it?
Plus, one of my favorite aromas in the world is that of a fresh, ripe peach. Better yet, a bushel of fresh, ripe peaches. When peaches are available local and in-season they are quite a treat.
My home state of South Carolina is the second largest peach producing state in the United States, so we have regular access to the good stuff each year. According to the State Department of Agriculture, 2014 is shaping up to be a good year for peaches as far as quality and fruit size goes. Furthermore, cold weather in late March earlier this year created a delayed crop and a longer season than usual, that means that finally South Carolina peaches are in season and, weather permitting, the harvest will continue on into September. You know what that means, don’t you? That means fresh homemade Peach Ice Cream for a while longer. And that’s a wonderful thing. Yes indeed!
A few notes on making homemade peach ice cream:
- Homemade ice cream isn’t just for summer. Even though this homemade ice cream can be made during the summer with fresh peaches if you find yourself on a cold winter day needing a reminder of warm sunny summer, easily substitute frozen peaches for fresh ones. Whenever you make it, just make it!
- You can purchase frozen peaches or freeze your own to make a batches of peach ice cream long into the winter. It’s easy and if you plan ahead you’ll be glad you did. There are a few ways to freeze peaches. I found really thorough directions and a video on how to do it over at Better Homes and Gardens.
Homemade Peach Ice Cream Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced (or 3 cups frozen sliced peaches)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 graham cracker, pulverized (totally smash 'em up!)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- In a skillet over medium heat, simmer peaches, 1/4 cup sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to heat-safe bowl and chill in refrigerator or in ice bath to room temperature.
- In a saucepan, heat 1 cup of heavy cream, remaining 3/4 cup sugar, and salt over medium, stir until sugar is just dissolved. Remove from heat, and whisk in crushed graham cracker. Let mixture cool slightly for about 10 minutes.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, add remaining 1 cup heavy cream, 1 cup milk, vanilla extract. Add cooled cream/sugar/graham cracker mixture, and half of cooled peach mixture, whisk to combine.
- Refrigerate mixture (and remaining half of peach mixture) until thoroughly cooled, the longer the better.
- Add chilled mixture to ice cream maker and churn according to churn manufacturer instructions.
- During last minute of churn time, slowly pour in remaining half of peach mixture.
Makes one full quart.