Hollandaise Sauce Recipe
Simple ingredients come together to make magic in this classic Hollandaise Sauce Recipe that is the perfect addition to Eggs Benedict, asparagus, chicken and salmon, to name a few.
I remember it like it was yesterday. It was a bright, crisp morn at a rambling plantation house turned bed and breakfast in rural South Carolina. We wandered into the formal dining room to what would be our first breakfast as a married couple. There was no menu to choose from. No mind. We happily enjoyed what was skillfully prepared: Eggs Benedict with fresh Hollandaise. What a glorious and delicious start to our union.
While Eggs Benedict is one of our regular favorites, I recall being in awe of that Hollandaise itself. It was perfect. Hollandaise Sauce sounds so fancy schmancy, but actually the ingredients are quite simple: clarified butter, egg yolks, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and a bit of water. When properly prepared, Hollandaise can elevate even a simple piece of toast to something spectacular.
How to Make Hollandaise Sauce
Begin by placing a stainless bowl over pot of boiling water or set up a double boiler. Add egg yolks, cold water and lemon juice. Vigorously and continuously whisk together until mixture thickens and doubles in volume. Next, continue whisking while gradually drizzling in warm clarified butter, salt and cayenne. Whisk until mixture thickens and doubles again in volume. Remove the sauce from heat. Finish by adding salt and pepper to taste. Keep sauce in a warm spot until ready to serve. If the sauce gets too thick, whisk in a couple of teaspoons of warm water at at time until desired consistency is reached.
Eggs Benedict Recipe
Classic Eggs Benedict, topped with homemade Hollandaise, is an over-the-top start to the day. Rise and shine!Continue Reading
Easy Roasted Asparagus Recipe
This easy Roasted Asparagus is super quick to make and is the perfect nutritious side dish to serve with steak, chicken, fish or pork.Continue Reading
Roasted Broccoli Recipe
Roasted Broccoli, with delicious crispy browned edges and hints of lemon and garlic, is an easy side dish to serve with any meal and can be ready in 15 minutes.Continue Reading
Hollandaise Sauce Recipe
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cold water
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup clarified butter, warm
- pinch salt
- pinch ground cayenne/red pepper
- hot water, as needed
- In a stainless bowl over simmering water or in top of a double boiler, vigorously and continuously whisk together egg yolks, cold water and lemon juice until mixture thickens and doubles in volume.
- Continue whisking; gradually drizzle in warm clarified butter, salt and cayenne. Mixture should thicken and double again in volume.
- Remove from heat. Salt and pepper to taste. Keep in warm spot until ready to serve. If sauce gets too thick whisk in a couple of teaspoons of warm water at at time until desired consistency is reached.