Grilled Chicken Fajitas Recipe
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Grilled Chicken Fajitas Recipe with vegetables is easy enough for a weeknight meal and festive enough for a weekend celebration.
When summer is in full swing, our grill sure does get a workout. Grilling is certainly an easy way to avoid heating up the house during those warmer months. While we grill a little bit of everything, chicken is definitely the main grilling attendee. Sweet and Spicy Chicken Wings, BBQ Chicken, Buttermilk Chicken, or these oh so delicious Grilled Chicken Fajitas Recipe with vegetables, are some of our favorites to grill during the summer.
You will enjoy these Grilled Chicken Fajitas Recipe with vegetables. They could not be easier to prepare, and make the perfect meal for any night of the week. Plus, who doesn’t like fajitas? I know around here fajitas disappear as quickly as we can get them cooked. Fajitas always smell so wonderful when they are cooking. Everyone is always waiting to dive right in!
As I said, preparation is easy. Boneless skinless chicken breasts and/or thighs, plus a medley of vegetables are marinated separately, up to a day ahead if needed. The chicken and vegetables are then quickly grilled up just before serving. If a vegetarian meal is desired, skip the chicken and triple the veggies for a tasty and filling meatless meal.
This easy fajitas recipe makes about six hearty servings. This recipe can be easily scaled up to serve more by adding a bit more of all ingredients, which makes it great for serving a crowd! Plan a festive night of fajitas for your next get together. Whip up a batch of black beans and rice to extend the meal. And don’t forget the fresh cilantro, guacamole, pico de gallo, sour cream, shredded cheese, salsa or your favorite fajitas toppings for building the perfect fajitas! Enjoy!
Grilled Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast and/or thighs
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 sweet onion, sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, halved
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into rounds
- 3 small tomatoes, quartered
- 12 (or more) soft corn or flour tortillas, warmed
- Optional for serving- fresh cilantro, guacamole, pico de gallo, sour cream, shredded cheese, salsa
- Prepare marinade in a measuring cup; whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, minced garlic, salt, pepper and cumin.
- Add chicken and half of marinade to a large zip-top plastic bag; turn to coat. Place sealed bag in refrigerator and let marinate at least 2 hours, or up to a day.
- Add bell pepper strips, onion, mushrooms, zucchini, and tomatoes to a large mixing bowl or zip-top plastic bag. Pour remaining marinade over vegetables and toss to coat. Marinate vegetables for at least an hour, or cover and refrigerate up to a day.
- When ready to cook, preheat grill to medium-high heat. Remove chicken from refrigerator and bring to room temperature. Place chicken on grill and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill chicken until done and cooked through, about 7-8 minutes each side.
- Meanwhile, use a grill basket or mesh grate to grill vegetables. Grill vegetables, tossing frequently, until tender and brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove cooked chicken from grill, cover and let rest for 10 minutes, then slice into thin strips before serving.
- Serve grilled chicken and vegetables with soft tortillas, fresh cilantro, guacamole, pico de gallo, sour cream, shredded cheese, salsa or other preferred fajita toppings.
* Additional time is needed for marinating.