Frozen Blueberry Squares Recipe
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These delightful Frozen Blueberry Squares are a refreshing treat for summer entertaining.
One of my first recipes on the blog a few years ago were Frozen Strawberry Squares, and man oh man have they been a big hit! There’s something about fruit with a cold and creamy twist that is absolutely perfect for summer. I’ve found quart after pound of beautiful blueberries this season and have been cooking, baking and garnishing everything with them. So with a dinner party to serve and a freezer full of space, I thought I’d do a twist on the Frozen Strawberry Squares and try it with blueberry version instead. Frozen Blueberry Squares were just as scrumptious as the original. Maybe even better.
It was a hot muggy Saturday and our favorite local contractors were over working on a project. We’re in the middle of remodeling our home, so we see them a bunch. Meanwhile, I was finishing up a blueberry sauce to serve with these Frozen Blueberry Squares. As I said it was hot and muggy, the perfect day for frozen treats! I took advantage of willing taste testers on hand, and sliced up squares for everyone. A Homemade Blueberry Syrup topped them off! I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, that this dessert recipe is contractor approved. Just make sure you have seconds on hand!
The easy Homemade Blueberry Syrup was an excellent way to top off the squares. The blueberry sauce is a lovely addition for this dessert. The sauce can be served warm from the stove, or cooled so the squares don’t melt too fast. The syrup is also perfect for topping other treats like pound cake, pancakes, or ice cream.
These Frozen Blueberry Squares are great because you can easily prepare it ahead of time and stick it in the freezer until you are ready to serve them. It’s also great to bring along to summer potlucks or outdoor cookouts (stored in a cooler of course), because it travels so well and is a nice, cold refreshing treat. It’s hard to beat a frozen dessert on a hot summer day!
Frozen Blueberry Squares Recipe
- 1 cup flour (almond flour may be substituted)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds (other chopped nuts may be substituted)
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 pasteurized egg whites*
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 10 fluid ounces whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 325-degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, almonds and melted butter; spread into an 8×8-inch pan. Bake at 325-degrees F for 20 minutes. Stir a couple of times. Let cool.
- Once cooled, evenly press the mixture in bottom of the 8×8-inch pan to create crust. Set aside.
- In a bowl, crush about 3/4 of blueberries. Stir in lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat pasteurized egg whites and granulated sugar on high until slightly stiff.*
- Separately, beat whipping cream until soft peaks form.
- Add beaten egg whites/sugar, crushed blueberries and lemon juice to whipping cream. Gently fold together until incorporated. Spread mixture evenly over crust.
- Cover and freeze for at least 4 hours or until firm throughout.
- Cut in squares to serve. Garnish with additional blueberries if desired.
*Pasteurized egg whites are safe to eat uncooked. If you cannot find pasteurized eggs, pasteurized liquid egg white products are available in most grocery stores. They may take a bit longer to stiffen up. If needed, add 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar.