Fresh Strawberry Pie Recipe
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
A Fresh Strawberry Pie recipe, sweetened with honey, that makes a sweet treat for any occasion.
Explosions, car chases, shootouts, an inordinate amount of karate and hand to hand combat, more explosions … it can all be a bit exhausting. So sometimes when you’re watching an action movie, like Bourne Ultimatum or any James Bond, you just need pie. Pie is the answer. Pie makes it all okay. Pie makes those long drawn out car chases bearable, because, it’s pie. That’s the beauty of pie. Pie mends things. Pie can make that round house kick to the gut almost laughable.
While I do enjoy a good action flick from time to time, all of the running around makes me tired. Pie doesn’t make me tired. Pie says it’s okay to take a chill pill and sit for a while. Stare even. Maybe even doze off for a second while you make your grocery list. It’s not that pie is boring. Oh no. Not boring at all. Pie is just steady and doesn’t need all of that dramatic music and carrying on. No guns involved. No loud stuff. Just pie.
This Fresh Strawberry Pie, sweetened with honey, with a splash of lemon, is just the right kind of pie any ruffian on the loose would stop in his tracks to enjoy. Yes, yes he (or she) would.
Fresh Strawberry Pie is easy to make too. It takes a while to allow it to set up, which cannot be skipped, but other than setup time, the pie prep is pretty quick. A pre-baked pie crust is filled with a strawberry puree and fresh strawberries then refrigerated until set. The puree is simple. Fresh strawberries are pureed, along with honey, and lemon juice then a basic unsweetened gelatin is added to help it thicken and set. If you’ve never used gelatin before, follow the steps in the recipe to bloom the gelatin and it will turn out just fine. Read more about how to bloom gelatin from Fine Cooking.
As I mentioned before, don’t skip the pie setting stage. For that reason, I recommend making this pie a day before serving, or at least 8 hours. Once the pie is set, plan on serving it within a day as the crust starts to get a bit soggy after that point. I love the fresh flavor of this pie and the sweetness coming from the strawberries plus a bit of honey. It’s simple yet oh so delicious. I think Bond would totally agree. It’s pie, Strawberry Pie.
Fresh Strawberry Pie Recipe
Fresh Strawberry Pie
This easy Fresh Strawberry Pie, sweetened with fresh strawberries and a bit of honey, makes a lovely dessert for any occasion.
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, washed and hulled
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon cold water
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- water for hot water bath
- 1 9-inch, baked pie crust
- Puree 1/2 of strawberries. Transfer puree to bowl and mix in honey and lemon juice until thoroughly combined; set aside.
- Add cold water to a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin evenly over cold water. Stir together. Gelatin will swell/bloom. Create a hot water bath. Place small bowl with gelatin over hot water; stir gelatin until it dissolves and becomes translucent. Skim off any foam. Let cool slightly.
- Slowly stream gelatin into strawberry puree mixture; mix to combine. Cover, refrigerate and allow to thicken, at least an hour.
- Slice remaining strawberries in half.
- Spread half of strawberry puree mixture in bottom of baked pie crust. Arrange half of sliced strawberries over top. Repeat with another layer of remaining puree and finish with remaining sliced strawberries. Cover and refrigerate until set before serving, at least 6* hours, or up to a day.
- Serve topped with fresh whipped cream.
*More time may be required for pie to set. The pie is totally edible once assembled, but if you’re interested in a cleaner cut, allow time to fully set.
Not just delicious sounding, it is beautiful! (Although I’m always up for a good action flick…especially Bourne.) 😉