Shrimp Fried Rice Recipe
This easy Shrimp Fried Rice Recipe will have you saying goodbye to those take-out menus and whipping up fried rice on the fly. You may even have neighbors ordering it from you!
Who needs take-out when you can stay in and enjoy your own delicious homemade Shrimp Fried Rice? Plus, this fried rice recipe is quick and super easy. You can easily have it done and ready to eat before a delivery guy could show up anyway. So fire up that wok or a large skillet and get to cooking!
A few things that make this fried rice recipe so easy is that you can keep the required ingredients always stocked up. The ingredients are pretty basic. This really is a recipe that can be made in a flash, and once you do it a couple of times you’ll be adding your own twist to it. Add some corn kernels, broccoli, chopped carrots … whatever floats your boat! Make it your own. Personally we know of certain pea-haters out there, so if that’s an issue in your home, just nix those and replace them with corn, carrots, or broccoli, or a combination of all of them.
Shrimp Fried Rice Recipe notes:
- Frozen shrimp works just fine. And if you plan ahead, put some in the fridge in the morning before you head out and they’ll be thawed and ready to go by supper time.
- The rice can even be cooked ahead of time, and kept refrigerated, then covered with a damp paper towel and gradually warmed in the microwave. In this case, add the frozen peas to the rice before rewarming it.
- Equal amounts of brown rice may be substituted for a healthier and heartier version.
- As mentioned above, if peas are not a favorite, easily substitute corn kernels, shredded carrot, or broccoli. Or add them anyway!
Shrimp Fried Rice Recipe
Avoid the take-out line and make this easy recipe right at home in no time.
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 1/2 cups (about 6 ounces) frozen green peas
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Stir frozen peas into cooked rice. Cover and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add beaten eggs and cook until set. Remove from pan, cover and set aside.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons to skillet, heat over medium-high. Add chopped onion to skillet and sauté 3 minutes. Add ground ginger and sesame seeds, sauté another minute. Push onions, ginger and sesame seeds to side of skillet. Add shrimp and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Whisk together rice vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil, and add to skillet. Sauté for about 30 seconds. Add rice, peas, and eggs back to skillet. Stir to combine.
Makes 3-4 servings. (Or 2 really hearty ones!)
Adapted from Cooking Light.
This Shrimp Fried Rice Recipe was adapted from Cooking Light.
Originally published September 23, 2014.