Easy Butter Chicken Recipe
Butter Chicken. You would think it is chicken that tastes like butter, but no. It’s nothing like that.
Over the summer we were treated to a delightful meal of Butter Chicken served with fresh vegetables. It was prepared by friends of ours, a sweet young couple, Joe and his girlfriend Mills. It was delightful evening at a table filled with great friends, much laughter and good food. The best kind of nights.
Soon after I made this easy adaptation of Butter Chicken at home and then again, and then again. Yes, it’s that addictive. Thankfully it’s that easy too. This rich and mildly spicy chicken dish can be prepped ahead by a day and left marinating in all of that spicy goodness until ready to cook up. It’s such a satisfying meal that I think you find yourself making over and over again too. And as I said, oh so easy to make.
A medley of warm spices plus yogurt make the perfect place for chicken to settle down into to marinate for a while, up to a day if needed. In comes the butter, and onions and some garlic. The chicken, marinade, crushed tomatoes and chicken stock are added to simmer for a little bit, about 20 minutes or so. Cream is added for even more goodness. Continue to cook over low until chicken is done. Salt and pepper to taste and serve! So very easy.
Butter Chicken is delicious served over rice along with steamed vegetables, like broccoli or cauliflower. And if you’re planning a dinner party, Butter Chicken would be a perfect dish for serving a group. Plus, leftovers reheat very nicely. Which is always a good thing.
Side dishes to serve with this Easy Butter Chicken:
Easy Butter Chicken Recipe
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon Tumeric
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts and/or thighs, cubed
- 8 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 cups finely diced onion (about 1 large onion)
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 2/3 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- optional for serving/garnish: basmati rice, steamed vegetables, fresh cilantro
- In a large bowl, whisk together yogurt, garam masala, cumin, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon and lemon juice. Add cubed chicken; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour, or up to a day.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat; add butter and melt. Add onions, salt and pepper; cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add minced garlic and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken, along with marinade, crushed tomatoes and chicken stock; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Sauce should slightly thicken. Stir in heavy cream; allow to simmer over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Chicken should be cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm over rice and/or steamed vegetables; garnish with fresh cilantro.