Creamy Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This savory Creamy Sweet Potato Soup recipe is just what a chilly day needs. Serve this soup alongside a green salad for a nutritious meal that will satisfy and nourish even the pickiest palate.
We live in a sweet state. A sweet potato state, actually. North Carolina is home to all kinds of good things, but since 1971 we have proudly claimed the #1 spot for sweet potato production. With ideal soil and climate, North Carolina supplies nearly 60% of the U.S. with this versatile spud. Pretty sweet, huh?
Not only are sweet potatoes versatile, these potatoes are also packed with essential nutrients and helpful fiber. And sweet potatoes add such lovely vibrant color to a dish! While the bright orange sweet potatoes are the standard around these parts, have you ever seen purple sweet potatoes? They are equally as nutritious as the orange ones, and a fun, colorful alternative to appear on a plate.
Over the years I’ve shared many recipes featuring sweet potatoes, like Sweet Potato Cake, Sweet Potato Pancakes, Loaded Baked Sweet Potatoes, Sweet Potato Biscuits, and of course a Sweet Potato Casserole, just to name a few. You could say we eat our fair share of sweet potatoes in the Johnson household.
While we eat sweet potatoes year round, when the weather turns cold we turn to our repertoire of soups. Although our daughter thinks soup is not a real food, Randy and I wholeheartedly disagree. Nothing beats a warm bowl of soup on a chilly day, hence, this Creamy Sweet Potato Soup. A savory lineup of onion, celery, garlic, oregano, ginger and cumin compliment the sweet potatoes and create an irresistible bowl of goodness that will have everyone coming back for seconds. Just make a batch and you’ll see what I mean.
Ingredients for Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
- sweet potatoes
- cooking oil
- diced yellow onion
- diced celery
- garlic cloves
- dried oregano
- ground ginger
- ground cumin
- ground black pepper
- chicken or vegetable stock
- canned coconut milk
How to Make Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
- The base of this soup begins with roasted sweet potatoes. Preheat the oven to 400-degrees F and line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Cut sweet potatoes in half length wise and completely coat sweet potato halves with oil. Place cut side down on parchment lined baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes at 400-degrees F. Carefully remove peels and discard peels. Transfer peeled potatoes to a bowl and thoroughly mash.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add butter. Once butter has melted, add diced onion and celery. Sautés onion and celery for 5 minutes. Grate garlic cloves directly into pan. Stir in dried oregano, ground ginger, ground cumin, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Next, stir in the stock and coconut milk. Stir well to combine and bring to a low simmer. Continue to simmer on low heat until potatoes are roasted and mashed.
- To finish, whisk in mashed sweet potatoes until combined. Salt and pepper to taste. For a smoother consistency, carefully transfer soup to a food processor or blender (working in batches if needed). Process until smooth. Be sure to vent the lid to avoid minor explosions. An immersion blender works great for this soup.
- Serve warm. Garnish with chopped chives or green onion, greek yogurt or sour cream, toasted pecans or walnuts.
As you can see, preparation for this soup is easy. It takes less than 45 minutes to make from start to finish, which includes roasting the sweet potatoes. Of course, this soup can be made ahead of time, refrigerated and rewarmed, which would make this soup an easy and delicious addition as a starter for a dinner party.
More delicious sweet potato recipes you will also love:
- Southern Sweet Potato Cake Recipe
- Sweet Potato Pancake Recipe
- Spicy Loaded Baked Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Biscuits Recipe
- Quick Baked Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Soup with Walnut Pesto
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Sweet Potato Chips Recipe
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- 4 large sweet potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds), cut in half lengthwise
- cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely diced yellow onion (about 1 medium onion)
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery (about 2 celery stalks)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 14 ounces canned coconut milk
- Additional salt and black pepper to taste
- Begin by roasting the sweet potatoes. Preheat oven to 400-degrees F. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Coat sweet potato halves with oil. Place cut side down on lined baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes at 400-degrees F. Carefully peel potatoes. Discard peels. Transfer peeled potatoes to a bowl and thoroughly mash.
- While sweet potatoes are roasting, heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add butter and allow to melt. Add diced onion and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Grate garlic cloves directly into pan. Sprinkle in dried oregano, ground ginger, ground cumin, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Stir in stock and coconut milk. Bring to a low simmer; continue to simmer on low heat until potatoes are ready.
- Whisk in mashed sweet potatoes until combined. Salt and pepper to taste. For a smoother consistency, carefully transfer soup to a food processor or blender (work in batches if needed), and process until smooth. Be sure to vent the lid to avoid minor explosions. An immersion blender also works great!
- Serve warm. If you so desire, garnish with chopped chives or green onion, greek yogurt or sour cream, toasted pecans or walnuts.
For a spicier version, add a bit of cayenne pepper to taste.