Sweet Potato Chips Recipe
After all the junk I’ve had over the holidays I’m needing to take a few steps back and regroup in regards to my eating habits. Healthy snacks are at the top of the list. Did you see the post I did for Tasty Kitchen on how to open a pomegranate?
I’ve opened more than a few pomegranates over the past weeks, but have also made a few batches of healthy chips with this Sweet Potato Chips Recipe. They’re packed with flavor, and Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, Potassium and Manganese.
Plus, they’re baked, not fried. And did you know the sweet potato is a strong anti-inflammatory food? I had no idea all that goodness was in the sweet potato. Sweet, indeed. If you’re participating in Weight Watchers, according to my calculations, one whole sweet potato, baked, is about 4 points, but a vitamin rich 4 points it is.
For the Sweet Potato Chips, begin with some basic seasonings and sweet potatoes.
This is a simple recipe that allows you to create your own flavor combination. I’ve listed a spicy combo below, but get creative and come up with what floats your boat.
Begin by peeling the sweet potatoes.
Next, it’s time to slice. I used a mandoline to slice the sweet potatoes, but you can easily use a sharp knife. Be careful! You’ll want them pretty thin, about 1/8″ thick.
In a bowl, combine the oil and herbs and spices. Then add the sliced sweet potatoes, and toss until they’re all coated with the spicy goodness.
Next, on ungreased baking sheets, line then all up, in a single layer and get ready to bake.
Bake in a 400°F oven for about 10-12 minutes. Then, turn all the potatoes over and return for more baking until golden brown and starting to get crispy. Should take around 10 more minutes. Be careful to watch for burning. Depending on your oven, you may need to decrease or increase cooking time for desired crispness.
They’re so yummy. And they make for the perfect snack or tasty partner to a burger or sandwich. Enjoy!
- 5 large sweet potatoes, sliced thin (about 1/8? thick)
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees F.
- Combine all seasonings with oil in a bowl.
- Add sliced sweet potatoes. Toss to coat the potatoes well.
- On ungreased baking sheets lay sweet potato slices in a single layer.
- On lower rack, bake for 10-12 minutes, then turn all potato slices over.
- Continue baking until golden brown, about 10 more minutes. (Watch carefully to make sure potatoes don’t burn. Depending on your oven, you may need to cut baking time short or add a few more minutes to desired crispness.)