Texas Style New Potato Salad Recipe
Serve this Texas Style New Potato Salad tossed with crispy bacon and grilled onions and just watch it disappear before the burgers and hot dogs do. I promise you. This easy recipe is a real winner for adding to your cookout menu!
I think I’ve mentioned it a time or two about how we are big fans of potatoes. Easy Quick Baked Potatoes are pretty much a regular featured menu item in our home, not to mention Baked Garlic Potato Wedges, a simple spin off of the Quick Baked Potatoes recipe. We do love a good potato. And as if delicious potatoes themselves were not enough, add a bit of crispy bacon, aromatic savory grilled onions, toasted coriander, cumin and oregano, chiles, fresh cilantro, and oh my, do you have some kind of tasty combination to enjoy. I’m talking about this Texas Style New Potato Salad recipe, y’all. Yep. It’s a must for your next cookout.
This potato salad recipe developed by Chef Robert Del Grande of Cafe Annie in Houston, Texas, for the McCormick Gourmet Collection combines oregano, cumin, coriander, chiles and red wine vinegar to give this potato salad a big, bold Texan flavor that is the perfect compliment to any cookout menu spread.
It can be prepared ahead of party time a day or two and kept refrigerated until ready to serve, or prepare everything except for the onions ahead of time, toss it altogether and keep it refrigerated then grill the onions while all of the other goodness is grilling during the cookout. The aroma of grilled onions will make everyone hungry and happily waiting by the grill! Once the onions are grilled, add them to the potato salad and toss together.
This Texas Style New Potato Salad recipe is not to be missed. Try this one real soon. Enjoy!
- 3 pounds red/new potatoes
- 1 large red onion, cut into thick slices
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1 pinch cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon oregano leaves
- 2 serrano chiles, minced
- 3 slices bacon, crisply cooked and coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, thick stems discarded, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon coarse black pepper
- Cook potatoes in salted boiling water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and cool. Once cool, quarter potatoes; set aside.
- Grill onion slices over high heat until lightly caramelized.
- In a skillet over medium heat, toast coriander and cumin seeds for about 1 minute or until fragrant. Add oregano; and continue to toast about 20 seconds, be careful to watch for burning. Immediately remove spices from heat, transfer toasted spices into large bowl.
- In a large bowl with toasted spices, add oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and whisk together to blend. Add potatoes, onions, chiles, bacon and cilantro; toss lightly to coat.