Flourless Chocolate Brownies

Flourless Chocolate Brownies
Pin It

Sometimes, a girl needs a brownie. Sometimes, a girl needs a brownie topped with ice cream, and toasted coconut, and more chocolate in syrup form. Yes, sometimes, this is a need. A need I say!

(Ahem.)

When I say Nigella’s Flourless Chocolate Brownie from Nigella Express (a cookbook, by the way, you should check out) I knew I had to try it using the pecan meal I had leftover from the Chocolate Coconut Mini-Muffins, along with a few minor changes. Nigella also pairs it with a warm dark chocolate sauce, using rich, 70% cocoa. I tried that too. Nigella sure knows how to twist a girl’s arm. She’s tricky like that.

I was a tad curious (and slightly concerned) to see if a flourless version of an all-time chocolate favorite would disappoint, as I’ve tried a couple of flourless chocolate cakes recently that were just plain icky. But these, this Flourless Chocolate Brownies? Not icky. Nope. Not one bit icky.

As I was still wondering if anyone else would miss the flour or notice a texture difference, I set out a “brownie bar” for my kid’s after school snack, including the chocolate syrup, vanilla ice cream, and toasted coconut.

A side note if I may: Those of you out there who think they don’t like coconut, have you ever tried toasted coconut? It’s one of the most terrific things in the whole wide world. I jest not. (Yoda I am not either.) I know many coconut haters comment that the texture bothers them, if that’s the case, try toasting it. Just toss a handful in a skillet and gradually toast over medium heat, stirring/tossing occasionally until brown. The extra crispy pieces are my favorite.

Toasted coconut, crispy, nutty goodness – it’s what it is y’all.

Back to the regularly scheduled program, the Flourless Chocolate Brownies.

The brownie bar was all set to go. I was eager to see what my picky 13 year old son would say. He’s not a huge chocolate fan to begin with, but always enjoys a good brownie. Well, he enjoyed several of these, with no comment on the taste or texture. I’ll take that any day as a measure that these Flourless Chocolate Brownies were a success.

I’ll be making these again soon for my gluten-free friends, and gluten-eating friends too. They’ll never know the difference. Do try it out soon. It will make a perfect easy dessert for your Valentine.

If you’re visual like me, be sure to check out the full recipe step-by-step photo tutorial over at Tasty Kitchen, among many other wonderful looking brownie recipes.

Enjoy!

Flourless Chocolate Brownies with Warm Dark Chocolate Sauce

Adapted from Nigella Lawson's Nigella Express.
For the brownie:
  • 10 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 2 sticks butter, salted
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1¾ cups pecan meal (almond meal may be substituted)
  • 3 large eggs, beaten
For the warm dark chocolate sauce:
  • 3 ounces dark chocolate (I used 70% cocoa, but a semi-sweet would be nice too, if you're not a dark chocolate fan.)
  • ½ cup heavy cream
  • 1 tablespoon strong coffee
  • 1 tablespoon honey
For the brownie:
  1. Preheat oven to 325°F and line a 9x9" baking pan with aluminum foil, or coat with butter or cooking spray.
  2. In a saucepan over medium-low heat, gradually melt the chocolate with the butter, stirring until smooth.
  3. Remove from heat, stir in the sugar and vanilla, and allow mixture to cool a little.
  4. Whisk in the pecan meal and beaten eggs until combined well.
  5. Pour mixture into a baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
  6. Let cool for a few minutes before cutting.
For the warm dark chocolate sauce:
  1. Add all ingredients to a heavy bottomed saucepan, and heat over low to melt chocolate and warm mixture.
  2. Whisk until smooth.
  3. Serve warm. Refrigerate any leftovers; re-warm stovetop or in microwave.

Comments

Geez, you’re really taking this no-grain thing seriously aren’t you?? Well, it looks like you’re managing to eat JUST FINE w/out the grains. Are you feeling differently? Better?

Gonna save this recipe for Ma, who is gluten-free and craves brownies now & then.

These look really yummy! I actually have some almond meal in my pantry so I could actually make these right now:-)…I have never understood how someone wouldn’t like coconut….it’s one of my favorite flavors.

Well, of course this is a NEED. And now I NEED a brownie too, this brownie, with this dark chocolate sauce. And those toasted coconut bits. And I guess some ice cream too, if you insist.

Wow! This looks amazing! I did a flourless chocolate cake a few weeks back…and besides being very flavorful it is one of those recipes that freezes well. These brownies look like they would work the same way…make in advance for when friends pop in. And can you really ever go wrong when combining chocolate and honey? Giggles

Wow… These brownies look absolutely delicious. I love your step by step photos, so neatly taken :) I have to make these lovely bites later…

I was just thinking that brownies sounded good, now I’m convinced. I’m absolutely on board with a flourless brownie too, they look fabulous!

Hey, Amy! I haven’t been over to ‘see’ you in a while … but when I saw this post in my reader list, I had to pop on by! I will absolutely give these flourless brownies a try. I just posted about a Chocolate Almond Flourless Cake … which was certainly NOT in the icky category. It used almond meal, like your pecan meal for the brownies, but could be made with pretty much any nut meal, I think. Though I’m not going grainless, I’m trying to incorporate more whole-grain baking into my line-up. Let the experiments begin!

that is the way to eat a brownie my friend. no other way in my opinion. looks glorious!!!!

I’m so curious about flourless recipes, I’ve never tried making one!

Oh my! After a week and a half of Weight Watchers I am seriously ready to throw in the towel and head to the kitchen to bake. This looks so good!

OK, so….

A. I NEED this brownie in my life.
    B. Love Nigella…love the way she writes and cooks
    C. Toasted coconut….totally agree! Love it.
    D. I NEED this brownie….did I already say that?!?

Wish I looked like Nigella and had her skills in the kitchen. In the mean time I can enjoy these GF brownies. Agreed – toasting nuts and coconut is essential for great flavor.

You are right! Every girl does need a brownie with ice cream but coconut.. not this girl at least! I’ll take the brownie, sauce and ice cream and leave coconut for other girls :)

Man, Amy, that sundae looks good, and the brownies look so easy! You know this Texan loves some pecans, so I bet that pecan meal added such a glorious flavor. I too adore toasted coconut. It’s way better than plain ol’ coconut.

The brownies look awesome! I will have to try this version. I like the thought of no flour…I wonder how splenda would work…that would make it really edible for Grumpy!

Katie says

These are AWESOME. I’m making my second batch right now! Thanks for the great recipe :)

Debbie says

I made the brownies last night and just sampled one. Whooooo doggy! Yummy! My four-year-old taste-tester also approves. Thanks for a great recipe!

This is IT in capital letters! Goodness, I want to jump right through the PC screen, into the dish this looks so delicious. Now, I’m a chocolate lover from the word “go”, so I’m not even sure that the brownies would get to the ice cream and sauce topping. I might have to delve right in without them!

I am DEFINITELY making this recipe.

Terra says

How many cups of whole nuts does it take to make 1 1/2 cups of meal, approximately? Nuts where I am are crazy expensive (chopped pecans are $10/cup, and walnuts are $16/lb!!), so I need to know in advance. Yeah, going grainless in Asia is HARD. Thanks!

Wow! That is crazy expensive. Unfortunately I don’t know how much as I used nut meal that was already ground. I have ground it myself before, but didn’t note how much meal whole nuts rendered. I did just do a quick google search, and found one source noting that 1 cup of whole almonds makes 1/2 cup meal. That may be a good place to begin. Basically those would be some really expensive brownies. Are you able to source pecan or almond meal online?