It’s melon eating season y’all, and here’s a light melon salad perfect for a summer cookout, or just to have on hand for a snack. When I saw Giada make it a few years back on the Food Network I knew I had to try it. It’s perfectly sweet, with a hint of fresh mint, and it couldn’t be easier. Double the recipe – you’ll be glad you did.
You’ll need sugar, water, watermelon, cantaloupe, lemon juice and amaretto (optional) and mint.
Note: There will be more syrup than needed for this recipe. You can refrigerate the remaining syrup for a few days to use in your favorite summertime drink.
Next, using a melon baller, scoop about 3 1/2 cups of watermelon.
Place all melon balls into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
Once the simple syrup has cooled, in the pitcher of a blender, add the mint and lemon juice.
It’s a fresh and tasty combo for sure. Enjoy!
Hope your summertime is filled with fun, flavor and some time to relax!
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 3½ cups (approximately) watermelon balls
- 3½ cups (approximately) cantaloupe balls
- ½ cup mint leaves, packed
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon amaretto (substitute amaretto flavoring or vanilla extract, if needed)
- Begin by making the simple syrup. Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a low simmer and stir, making sure that all sugar is dissolved. It should only take a couple of minutes of simmering. The liquid will thicken slightly and should remain clear. Remove from heat and let cool. (Remember: You are only using a portion of this syrup. Refrigerate the remainder for a few days if you’d like, for use in another recipe. It’s great for sweetening tea or water.)
- Next, using a melon baller, scoop about 3½ cups of watermelon and 3½ cups cantaloupe into a large mixing bowl and set aside. If you don’t have a melon baller you can always cut up the melon into about 1-1½? squares.
- Once the simple syrup has cooled, blend ¼ cup of the simple syrup, mint, lemon juice and amaretto in a blender until mint is finely chopped.
- Pour the mixture over the melon pieces and combine well.
- Serve right away, or cover and refrigerate until needed.