Rustic Cherry Galette Recipe
This Rustic Cherry Galette Recipe is an elegant dessert but oh so easy to make.
Growing up my exposure to cherries was mainly atop an ice cream sundae or the game Hi Ho Cherry-O. Man, I loved that game. Fresh sweet cherries are not something we can find so easily here in the Carolinas. Peaches? Strawberries? Yes. Blackberries? Blueberries? Apples? Sure. But not so much the cherries.
So growing up, fresh cherries were not in abundance. We didn’t eat them as snacks or enjoy them much in dessert form. They were usually canned in tons of sugar and extra stuff. It was less than ten years ago that I really began eating fresh cherries all by themselves. Ever since, they have quickly become one of my favorite snacks when in season.
When sweet cherries are in season they are the perfect sweet bite. I can hardly pass up buying a bag of cherries when I see them in the produce department. The shiny, vibrant, crimson fruit is almost too pretty to eat. But I do. Oh yes, I do. And you should too, especially in galette form.
A Rustic Cherry Galette, which is basically a simplified pie, is not only delicious but super easy to make. It’s the perfect way to showcase those delicious fresh cherries!
As I said, this galette could not be easier to make. Fresh pitted cherries are first mixed with brown sugar, and a bit of flour, plus lemon juice and a smidgen of salt. Then the cherry mixture is loosely wrapped in a round of pie dough. You can see that I didn’t spend a bunch of time messing with it to make it a fancy wrapped package. It is definitely a rustic dessert. Rustic and simple.
Yet this simplified pie is anything but boring. Serve this galette warm topped with fresh whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, or all by itself. It is a scrumptious dessert!
More delicious cherry recipes you will enjoy:
Rustic Cherry Galette Recipe
- 12-inch round chilled pie dough
- 4 cups sweet cherries, stemmed, pitted and halved
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- egg + 1 tablespoon water, beaten together for egg wash
- Heat oven to 375-degrees F. Line baking sheet with baking parchment.
- In a bowl, combine cherries, 1/3 cup brown sugar, flour, lemon juice and salt. Using a potato masher or heavy flat bottom glass mash mixture a few times. Set aside.
- Place chilled dough round on parchment lined baking sheet. Place cherry filling onto center of dough, leaving a 2-inch border around the edge. Fold edge up and over filling, overlapping and creating pleats all the way around. Brush dough with egg wash. Sprinkle top of galette (especially the crust) with 1 tablespoon of brown sugar.
- Bake at 375-F degrees about 40-50 minutes until crust is golden brown and done on bottom. Transfer to wire rack and cool slightly before slicing.