Oatmeal Lemon Blueberry Bars
Made with fresh blueberries, oatmeal, lemon and nuts, these delicious Oatmeal Lemon Blueberry Bars with a nutty lemony crust are the perfect sweet and nutty treat.
Blueberries, you are magnificent!
Yes, sometimes I talk to fruit. Sometimes.
Blueberries Are Nutritious
Blueberries deserve some chatting up, I do believe. A quick search online for blueberry nutritional benefits will show you a slew of nutritional benefits that those sweet blue darlings provide, from folate, B6, Vitamin K, Vitamin C, fiber and potential cholesterol lowering abilities. And those are just a few of the many benefits the little berries supply.
So no only are blueberries beautiful and delicious, they are super nutritious too. Yay for blueberries! And yay for Oatmeal Lemon Blueberry Bars!
Fresh blueberries and chopped nuts top a sweet yogurt layer and a flavorful crunchy oatmeal crust with hints of lemon in these delectable Oatmeal Lemon Blueberry Bars. These are just scrumptious! Scrumptious, I say! They are a fabulous sweet treat to enjoy for any occasion and perfect for packing up to travel down the road to share with your favorite people. Serve warm or chilled or even try it with a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream on top.
How to Make Oatmeal Lemon Blueberry Bars
Not only are these bars scrumptious, but they’re pretty easy to make too. Begin by preheating the oven to 325-degrees F and prepare a 9×13-inch baking pan by greasing with butter or coat with cooking spray. Next prepare the oatmeal crust. Whisk together flour, oats, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, ginger and fresh lemon zest. Then stir in melted butter and fresh lemon juice until combined. Evenly press the crust mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
Now on to the filling. Whisk together sour cream, vanilla extract, flour and brown sugar until smooth. Spread mixture evenly over the prepared crust. Top with blueberries and nuts and lightly press into mixture. Finish by baking the bars at 325-degrees F for 35-40 minutes. Be sure to allow to cool completely in the pan before cutting. See how easy they are?
This Oatmeal Lemon Blueberry Bars recipe is an adaptation from my Nutty Oatmeal Cranberry Bars Recipe, which was a big hit during the holidays (or any day really). Be sure to check them out too!
Oatmeal Lemon Blueberry Bars Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups quick-cook oats
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- zest of 1 lemon
- 8 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sour cream or greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds, chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325-degrees F. Grease or coat with cooking spray a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Oatmeal Crust: Prepare crust by whisking together flour, oats, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, ginger and lemon zest. Stir in melted butter and lemon juice until combined. Evenly press mixture into the bottom of prepared baking pan.
- Filling: Whisk together sour cream, vanilla extract, flour and brown sugar until smooth. Spread mixture over crust. Spread blueberries and nuts evenly over mixture; lightly press into mixture.
- Bake at 325-degrees F for 35-40 minutes. Let cool completely in pan before cutting.
Originally published March 31, 2016.