Sauteed Mushroom with Cheesy Polenta Recipe
This Sautéed Mushrooms with Cheesy Polenta Recipe, flavorful mushrooms sautéd in herbs and a balsamic vinegar sauce, and served with creamy polenta with melted gouda cheese, is the perfect savory appetizer or main dish.
Over the years there are those meals that stand out as favorites. The ones you want to rush home to recreate right away. But sometimes life gets in the way, we get distracted and find ourselves years later still thinking about something like, say, mushrooms and creamy polenta.
Six years ago. It was a work trip to Napa. We were treated to a delightful dinner at Michael Chiarello’s famed Botega restaurant. Certainly not an everyday (or every year, for that matter) dining experience for me. A variety of appetizers were ordered for the group but one stood out from the rest: Polenta Under Glass. I knew after the first bite of the rich balsamic mushroom sauce and cheesy polenta that evening that I wanted to come home and re-create that savory goodness as soon as possible.
Six years, y’all. I know. That’s quite a long time to delay a dish so memorable. But, as you may know, stuff happens. We put off and postpone and shelve those things that add flavor to our lives, even something as simple as mushrooms and polenta. I don’t know why. Life is too short to leave anything on the back burner for too long, much less six years.
Even thought is has taken me a while to get around to recreating the wonderful flavor combination, it was definitely worth the (unnecessary) wait. So without further ado, Sautéed Mushrooms with Cheesy Polenta Recipe, a savory appetizer or main dish of flavorful mushrooms sautéd in herbs and a rich balsamic vinegar sauce, spooned over creamy polenta with melted gouda cheese. Obsession worthy, I promise. And such a simple dish to make. I don’t know why I waited so long. Make sure you don’t delay like I did. Try it soon!
Sautéed Mushrooms with Cheesy Polenta Recipe
A savory appetizer or main dish of flavorful mushrooms sautéd in herbs and a rich balsamic vinegar sauce, spooned over creamy polenta with melted gouda cheese.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms, sliced (Baby Bella or mixture)
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, minced/grated
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt to taste
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups instant polenta
- 8 ounces gouda* cheese, shredded
- salt to taste
- Warm a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil. When oil ripples, add mushrooms; and cook stirring occasionally for 7 minutes. Stir in thyme, oregano, pepper and garlic; continue to cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in balsamic vinegar, scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pan, stirring constantly about 30 seconds. Stir in chicken broth, reduce to low. Stir in butter. Salt to taste. Keep warm.
- In a saucepan, bring 2 1/2 cups milk and 2 1/4 cups chicken broth to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; gradually stir in polenta; cook, stirring constantly until mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Add more liquid (broth, milk or water) as needed to achieve desired consistency. Remove from heat. Add shredded cheese; stir to combine until smooth. Salt to taste. Serve polenta warm topped with mushrooms.
*Other cheeses may be substituted. A few recommendations: Gouda, Gruyère, Havarti, Fontina, Cheddar